Opting Out Of Going Potty...

Ok, I'm not sure if this should go in off-topic or not, so if it needs to move, Mods, feel free. And sorry if it is in the wrong place.

Lucky Girl, my Dalmatian, is an older girl. We don't know exactly how old as she came from the shelter...all we know is that the woman who surrendered her "had papers and lost them" and "swears she is 2 years old." Ha. The vet puts her at 5-6, but I've had dalmatians my entire life and she acts like an older one. Anyways...

...she's only going to the bathroom once a day. When she does it is good and normal just a LARGE amount. She seems to get all her pee and poo out at one time.

She gets turned out with and without the boys several times a day. Sometimes she won't even get off the porch. We have tried leash walking her, tried letting her in the yard...tried differant locations. Nothing. It seems she likes to hold it. Which just can't be comfortable! Vet says there is nothing wrong with her, that's she's "quirky." But I think something is up...

Any suggestions or ideas?

oh....we've ruled out kidney stones...which Dals are prone to....

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest greythopes

Our dalmatian Baci (gone to the bridge 2 years ago) used to hold it forever. I used to be amazed at the amount he would pee and poop in one go. I think I timed it once (yes, I am weird), and he stood there peeing for well over a full minute! We never did find any urinary problems, and his vet just shrugged and said if he was happy, don't worry about it.

But it did used to freak me out a little.

Our dalmatian Baci (gone to the bridge 2 years ago) used to hold it forever. I used to be amazed at the amount he would pee and poop in one go. I think I timed it once (yes, I am weird), and he stood there peeing for well over a full minute! We never did find any urinary problems, and his vet just shrugged and said if he was happy, don't worry about it.

Well, good to know she isn't totally alone! I've never had this problem with any of my dals before.

How old was he when he started it? This is recent for her.

Guest greythopes

Well, good to know she isn't totally alone! I've never had this problem with any of my dals before.

How old was he when he started it? This is recent for her.

He probably started doing it gradually when he was around 5 or 6? Hard to say, because he seemed to be holding it longer and longer, over time. He was a big LAZY lug, and we eventually figured that he just could not be bothered to make the effort more than once or twice a day. I mean, geez, you hafta lift a leg and stand on three, and that's soooo tiring that you likely need a nap after. :lol

However, I would still get a urinalysis just in case, if your vet hasn't. Some dogs with a UTI get incontinent, and some will hold it because it burns to pee, so they put it off as long as possible. This is going to sound REALLY weird, but occasionally with Baci I'd stick my nose down there after he peed to make sure it didn't smell rank or concentrated or anything, because I still worried even after the vet said he was fine. :eek

Edited by greythopes

UTIs can sometimes be hard to identify. Get her double checked.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16