I'm In Tears Over Spencer's Dental Tomorrow (1/2)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I know so many of you are going through or have gone through so more than I have but I've been crying all day worrying about Spencer's dental tomorrow.

My poor 8 y/o baby has been through a lot in the last 3 months with his back end spinal problems, knuckling under, total incontinence, etc. I take him every 2 weeks for acupuncture which has helped him tremendously. Today was the first day in a very long time that he actually jumped up on my bed to get snuggles and belly rubs. You don't know how happy that made me! He's such a happy boy now and although will probably never be back to "normal" he's very close to it.

So I had put off his dental for the past 3 months because of all these other problems but I know I must do this as his teeth are bad and I don't want them to be another source of illness and discomfort to him. But on the other hand, I'm so scared he might pass away on the table that I'm just sick over it. I'm worried also that he might get his back screwed up again. The vet doing his dental has been through this entire thing with me and Spencer and I know he will be extra careful with him but I'm just can't stop crying. Spencer is now deathly afraid of the vet and driving in the car because he knows he's going to the vet. I feel so bad that I'll be dropping him off tomorrow and leaving him so scared. I know I'm overreacting but I love him so much and I can't imagine my life without him.

I need someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing for him because rationally I know I am but my feelings over the whole thing are overwhelming. Please keep Spencer in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow as he needs them so much.

Thank you for listening.

Donna

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be keeping you and Spencer in my thoughts. I hope everything goes well tomorrow. :grouphug

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

He really will be fine. Please update when he is home and his teeth are clean and beautiful. You are absolutely doing the right thing for him. My poor Polli's teeth are soooo bad. She has had 3 dentals in 13 months. The last dental I had them do when she underwent her amputation because she really needed it. Decayed teeth can cause disease in the organs. You are 100% doing the right thing for Spencer.

He really will be fine.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I think there are so many of us who know exactly how you feel right now. I feel that way every time I have to drop Misty off AGAIN for her ACTH. When they're so afraid of the vet, it just makes it tougher. I'm already worried about dropping Wayne off next week so I honestly do know how you feel. What we're dropping them off for is so necessary to their health and well being, no, doesn't make it easier, just necessary. Spencer will be in good hands which you'll be a wreck. Know that we will tuck both of you in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest tricolorhounds

:grouphug Don't cry, he'll be fine :grouphug

My Savannah is 8 and had 3 surgeries in 2008... Dental in February where she lost 24 teeth and Leg surgery in July and October.

Your little man is going to be just fine...I promise. Tomorrow night he will be back home with you and cuddling on the couch and this will all be behind you. My sweet Flashy is PETRIFIED of the vet...we take him at the last minute and they start his IV as soon as we get there and they give him something to relax him immediately. My prayers and best wishes. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest tennesseegrey

His teeth will be so much cleaner and his mouth more comfortable after the initial cleaning. Plus, if his back hurts more from the procedure, accupuncture will get him right back on track. Think positive!! I'll be thinking positive for you.

We all know how you feel--I don't think there is ever a time that I don't worry when my hounds get their teeth cleaned or have some type of procedure, but your guy will do great! You are doing the right thing! Try not to worry and be fearful because he will feel it--keep happy, cheerful thoughts and he will get that great vibe, and you will ultimatly feel better. I hope this story makes you feel better--I debated whether to relay this story, but I want you to know what fighters these guys are. My 11 year old grey had to have a four hour procedure and I cried for days because I had the same worries as you. I sat in one place and waited that day--it was 3 1/2 hours into the procedure, when I got the call that he had arrested on the table. They not only brought that beautiful dog back, but he lived another peaceful and happy year and a half. I just lost him last month and I will never stop missing him, but you can see that even these senior guys aren't going to willing leave the good life they have with you. Keep the faith--I will think positive thoughts tomorrow. Spencer has more life to live with you and he will be home before you know it tomorrow! :gh_run

Jennifer

Jackson ( my Bridge Angel)

th_Jackson.jpg

Lily

th_Lily.jpg

Linden

th_IconLedger004.jpg

Edited by Jenn

Guest Spencers_Greyt
We all know how you feel--I don't think there is ever a time that I don't worry when my hounds get their teeth cleaned or have some type of procedure, but your guy will do great! You are doing the right thing! Try not to worry and be fearful because he will feel it--keep happy, cheerful thoughts and he will get that great vibe, and you will ultimatly feel better. I hope this story makes you feel better--I debated whether to relay this story, but I want you to know what fighters these guys are. My 11 year old grey had to have a four hour procedure and I cried for days because I had the same worries as you. I sat in one place and waited that day--it was 3 1/2 hours into the procedure, when I got the call that he had arrested on the table. They not only brought that beautiful dog back, but he lived another peaceful and happy year and a half. I just lost him last month and I will never stop missing him, but you can see that even these senior guys aren't going to willing leave the good life they have with you. Keep the faith--I will think positive thoughts tomorrow. Spencer has more life to live with you and he will be home before you know it tomorrow!

Jennifer

th_Jackson.jpg

Oh Jennifer I'm so sorry you lost your boy! Thank you so much for sharing your story. Hugs to you!

Donna

We all know how you feel--I don't think there is ever a time that I don't worry when my hounds get their teeth cleaned or have some type of procedure, but your guy will do great! You are doing the right thing! Try not to worry and be fearful because he will feel it--keep happy, cheerful thoughts and he will get that great vibe, and you will ultimatly feel better. I hope this story makes you feel better--I debated whether to relay this story, but I want you to know what fighters these guys are. My 11 year old grey had to have a four hour procedure and I cried for days because I had the same worries as you. I sat in one place and waited that day--it was 3 1/2 hours into the procedure, when I got the call that he had arrested on the table. They not only brought that beautiful dog back, but he lived another peaceful and happy year and a half. I just lost him last month and I will never stop missing him, but you can see that even these senior guys aren't going to willing leave the good life they have with you. Keep the faith--I will think positive thoughts tomorrow. Spencer has more life to live with you and he will be home before you know it tomorrow!

Jennifer

th_Jackson.jpg

Oh Jennifer I'm so sorry you lost your boy! Thank you so much for sharing your story. Hugs to you!

Donna

All will be fine! You have tons of Greyhound lovers sending you positive thoughts and I am a firm believer in those.

Edited by Jenn

I understand your fear/anxiety/crying. I'm sending prayers for Spencer as are a lot of other GT'rs. He will be fine. Hugs to you. Please post tomorrow.

Guest longdogs

Angel, almost 11, has hers on Monday. She came with very bad teeth and horrible gums and bad breath but we worked hard with bones, diet etc and they have been remarkably good up till now. Her mouth has become sore and changed the way she is using her teeth, meaning her front teeth have suddenly deteriorated. I had the vet give her a checkup today and she is now likely facing a few extractions. She has a low grade infection as a result of her mouth problems. The vet also confirmed she has pains in her shoulders, back and hips from arthritis. Angel came to us as a senior 'failed foster' some years ago and has been largely trouble-free. Old age is now catching up with her. She's still chirpy though.

Good luck with the dental. Once he's recovered he will be much more comfortable.

Guest vahoundlover

Oh boy do I know what your feeling :grouphug I was in tears the morning I dropped Boss off for his dental (abscessed tooth) I just knew I would never see my fella again. I was wrong of course and Boss came home that evening and even had a bowl of ice cream. :rolleyes: That was a month before his 14th birthday.

Sending lots of prayers!

I know how you feel, my 8 year old Mandy had to go through a big dental last month. I'll be saying prayers that all goes well and Spencer feels better quickly.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.