Good Wishes For Penny And Hypothetical ?

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Tuxsmom

Penny is going in Tuesday for XRays for a limp that started the 1st week of December. She has overall stiffness also, so vet prescribed Phycox as an arthritis med.

Overall stiffness is doing great in response. But limp is worse. :(

Of course, you all know what the worst fear is....

but hopefully it's something different! :hope:

on same note: my heart & prayers go out to those of you who have dealt with the worst, and are now dealing with the worst.

Anyways....on a PURELY hypothetical note: I see lots of pictures of amputee greys with one hind leg removed. But how about a front leg? Would this be harder or easier or the same?

Seems like it would be easier to go to the bathroom for her, but more awkward for general movement.

Just hypothetical....but curious.

Thanks for any input !!!

-June

p.s. Penny loves her "arfritis treats". She thinks they are great!

No personal experience but all the hounds I've seen without one front leg do fine. It seems like they adapt well to missing a limb. Valentino can't walk on his front leg right now and is doing quite well. The first day was rough but he's adjusted to not walking on it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Mango is only 4 weeks post amp of her left front leg, but she is getting around fine. She has jumped in and out of my car, on and off of both couch and my bed with no problem whatsoever. Only thing she hasn't done yet is run, but I think that's just because she's still healing.

Greytfulhounds' Mystery was a tripod when he came to her, and he manages fine, too, and runs like the wind. I'm sure others who have front leg tripods with more experience will chime in to give you more info.

Edited to add: here's hoping that it really is "something else" for Penny, and that your question remains purely hypothetical.

Edited by mangos_mom

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Polli is 2 3/4 months post FRONT leg amputation. Today in the snow she was doing zoomies with Teddy!!! Yesterday, after I threw a screaming moneky, she ran got it with her tush in the air and shook it.

This did not happen over night, as I am sure you know.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tennesseegrey

I've had both types of tripods. My first grey had osteo of the front right leg, and now my second has osteo in the back right leg. Both were amputated. Most people say the hind leg is easier on the dog because they have so much weight in the front, but I think my first got around better with the front amputation. It could be because her front leg was stronger that the remaining hind leg of the second grey. Either way, they do great after amputation and act as if they don't miss the leg at all. Getting rid of the pain is the biggest issue and it seems to get them back to their normal selves.

Guest EmbersDad

ember, like polli, is a front leg amputation. she gets around no problem. was running in the dogpark the other day.

156qxcl.jpg

Edited by EmbersDad

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sending prayers that this is not osteo. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending prayers for Penny. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed that "it" is not the big O. :goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead