General Aging Question

My Argus will be 9 on Friday 01/02/09 (Happy Birthday, Big Boy!) and I was wondering what sorts of signs of aging I can expect to start seeing? Do they start to lose their sight or hearing like humans do? A couple of things recently have led me to wonder whether or not he is seeing and hearing as well as he used to.

Robin - Cordova (Memphis), TN

Argus (BB's Turbo) #86152 Oswald Cobblepot X Hilary Pride

Butler (GoodOleBoyRoy) #92232 Castor Troy X Princess Josie

Bridge Angel Callie (Tom S Macaroon) #87886 Black Streaker X Tom S Megan, April 15, 2000 - November 3, 2012

Although I only have one senior, age 10 - I am no expert, but I would think that it varies from dog to dog. I did not know Polli when she was 2 but all i can say is that even with her amputation, she still behaves like a 3 year old pup!

When was Argus' last well check up? Is it time for another?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't think of 10 as particularly old and I don't know many hounds that have lost their sight or hearing at the age of 10 that didn't have a medical reason attached, like Emmy. Andy at 10 still had excellent sight and hearing before he passed away. Usually what you see is just a general slowing down, liking to nap a bit more than usual and such.

I hope that there are no big problems for Argus and will keep nice healthy thoughts for him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Lee just started slowing down in this last year. He does have LS (lumbrosacral stenosis) but his eyesight and hearing are very good. He was 13 about a month ago.

I don't think of 10 being old at all. I know that technically they say a greyhound is a senior at 7 but I don't see them getting old until they are 11-12 or so.

For both of my girls, nine was the age when I started to notice things. Not that they were 'old' by any means, but just the beginnings of little stuff. Their hind legs would shake for a little while after long walks, or when standing in the car. Holly has cataracts, but so far, there has been no major problems with that...a little misjudging of distance, or a mis-step here or there. I would put out night lights if you haven't already and also non-skid rugs if you have any slippery surfaces. To me, it's all about avoiding things that could hurt them. Like with people, it just takes longer to heal once you get a bit older, so it's best to avoid mishaps.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Hmm. He was at the vets for his check up/shots in November but we've noticed some things like him not meeting me at the door when I get home (can't hear the garage door going up?) and wanting the lights turned on in a room before he goes in (after breakfast all the dogs go back to bed in our room but in different beds - Callie in ours, Butler in Callies or in his crate, and if Butler isn't in Callie's bed, Argus gets in hers). I'll most likely bring him into the vet and have it specifically checked out.

Bridge Angel Callie (Tom S Macaroon) #87886 Black Streaker X Tom S Megan, April 15, 2000 - November 3, 2012

• 1 month later...

Argus update. We took him to the vet, specifically about his vision and he was diagnosed with PRA. He can still see but is having issues in low light, dark rooms, etc.

Oh, I'm sorry. There are others on here who are dealing with PRA...maybe you could start a new thread with PRA in the title to get advice?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)