Dog Has Allergies...

Guest lauri

The rims around Clark's eyes get red and itchy form his allergies. His lips also get red and itchy.

What can I put around the eyes and on the lips to ease the dryness and itch? Seems all creams and ointments say not to use internally or in the eyes. Even if I put it AROUND his eyes he rubs them with his leg and would probably get the stuff in the eyes!

I feel bad about giving him allergy pills - still gets a bit itchy and the pills make him seem stoned!

How is he without the pills?

Has he had a bath and an extra-good rinse-off?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yea. He had been on antibiotics after the track for some reson to do with the allergies and he's very neat and clean...no bath needed for this boy! Not much in the way of body itches. Mostly eyes and mouth which could mean food allergies. When they come off the track, they're put on Canidae chicken and rice but when they go to their foster homes, they can end up with whatever. He had been switched off of the Canidae ,but we're feeding him the Canidae now.

We ill be getting his medical records soon, so maybe we'll learn more.

Actually he seems to not be THAT much better without pills, but what I did notice the other day is I checked the whites of his eyes in the morning - this was X-Mas Eve - and they were as white as could be. Then he went outside to potty and explore around...it was VERY windy. Came back in and I checked his eyes. RED!!!

I have Clortrimiton. That's what Miles was on when he first came to us. His allergies eventually got better.

I was told Benadryl is good.

Benadryl is great...when it works. Wayne has food allergies but also seasonal allergies. He stays on Benadryl through the summer months and it works wonders for him. No scratching, no runny eyes etc.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Greensleeves
no bath needed for this boy!

She wasn't recommending it b/c she thought he was dirty--she was recommending it to wash the allergens off his body before he could inhale/ingest them. A good rinse in lukewarm water is the FIRST line of defense against allergies. (When my eyes start to itch from the pollen in the spring, the first thing I do is rinse out my eyes with cool water.)

If for whatever reason you're opposed to bathing him, get a wet towel and wipe him down every time he comes inside, taking care to keep refolding the towel to expose a "clean" side when you move to a new body part. In this case, I'd wash his FACE first. Pay extra attention to the feet, as well.

A vet visit is probably also in order--lots of eye conditions preset as "itchy" eyes--the eyes are irritated, so the dog rubs at them.

Yep, what Greensleeves said. :)

Unless he's just awful without meds, I'd probably hold off on them and see how he does without. That's just me, tho, and not knowing his history etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For the 'Tzus eyes, our Eye Vet recommends GenTeal Gel for Servere Dryness. It's a human eye OTC available at Walmart or other places like that. Walmart is the cheapest that I have found. There is also a coupon in the box for a buck off your next tube. I put a small drop on the 'Tzus eyes twice a day, per the Eye Vet's instructions.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I wanted to add that I think this does sound like a food allergy. I would get him off the Canidae and get him on an allergy forumla food. Doesn't have to be a script food--try a Natural Balance product---sweet potato and fish, duck and potato ect.. Keep in mind a lot of dogs are also allergic to sunflower oil (my boy turned as red as a tomato--especailly around the eyes!) so watch the Wellness brand foods (Simple soultions). Don't forget--no treats unless they are hypoallergic too! :rolleyes:

Guest tricolorhounds

Gain has/had red itchy eyes until just recently when we switched him to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, Salmon/Potato... It's worked wonders for him.