Not Drinking Much...

Guest lauri

I know this has been addressed before but I cannot remember what was advised.

Clark doesn't drink water. Today he's had literally a couple of slurps and then turns his head away even when I bring him the water dish! I do add water to his kibble, so he gets some there. It's just weird...Miles was such a water drinker!

He's got allergies so he's getting a 'Chlortrimetron' with his morning meal and one at night with his meal. I can tell you he's kind of stoned on that stuff and I'd think it'd make one drink more, but not him!

I've done the skin test and he's not dehydrated and he pees fine, just not super often.

He crapped on the sidewalk twice on walks.

Glad to see he's not shy in THAT area! :huh

Forgot to add that he's NOT active - in fact I've never seen such a lazy boy and it's worse with allergy meds!. Small walks, sleeps and hangs on his bed in the bedroom. He's only been here three days.

Any ideas on the lack of water? I wouldn't imagine that any animal would go thirsty when it's got a supply of clean water at all times.

Edited by lauri

We have had some greys that loved to drink up the water and others that took a quick drink and not much more. Maybe Clark is one of those that just is not interested. Also, he is still settling in and may change is habits as he gets more comfortable in his new home. In a few days if you are still concerned you could check with your vet.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

If he isn't dehydrated, don't worry about it. When she was younger, Zema very seldom drank. She got water in her meals, and that was enough for her efficient little self.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Prior to Misty being dx with Cushings, she hardly drank at all. I never worried about it until the summer heat. I started to put Gatorade in her bowl and she couldn't get enough of it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I brought the water to his in his spot in the bedroom (he pretty much is staying there most of the day) and he drank up. Not one drip on the ground. This boy is SOOO dainty!

Yea...I'm so used to Miles having been all over the house even in his first days, and this one eats, goes potty, walks, but doesn't leave the room to socialize yet. He's very loving and interactive when were in the room with him.

He'll get used to our home.

Thanks! And I will keep an eye on things.

Chloe is not much of a drinker either. I am always quite aware when she walks over to the bowl and goes at it.

I've give Clark a bit more time and as long as he is not dehydrated, he is apparently getting enough.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyAnne

With Henry, winter is the time he won't drink enough water. I have found it helpful to toss in a little bit of kitty kibble. I gently fold a piece of Henry's skin, and if it doesn't bounce back, I know he needs more water.

When Martin came to us after living at the kennel for a year and a half, he paced his water drinking to his opportunities to go outside. If we asked "outside?" and opened the door, he'd head right for the water dish first and load up before going out. Otherwise, he didn't drink much in his first days with us.

When Kiowa once went on a water strike for reasons unknown I would toss a handful of kibble into the water dish and he would drink it right up to get to the kibble.