Appetite/antibiotic Problem

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry is on Cephalexin because he lost a dewclaw a few days ago. Today is day two of antibiotics. His dewclaw is a little swollen and discontinuing antibiotics are not an option. I need to give with food, or he throws it up. This morning he did not want breakfast, I went ahead and gave the Cephalexin, and he threw up red bile. (capsule is red) At noon he ate a little and I gave him a pill and he did OK. Now it is dinner, and he won't eat. If I give him pill without him eating, he will throw it up. I tried doctoring up food with a peanut butter gravy. It's not working yet.

I hate to keep piling on meds, but does he need an anti naseau med or something? Any suggestions?

Give him 10mg famotidine (one regular-strength pepcid), wait 30-40 minutes, and offer him a snack.

2-3 times a day, you can:

- give 10mg famotidine (one regular-strength pepcid)

- wait 30-40 minutes

- feed something -- a slice of bread, a snack of his regular food, or a meal

- right after feeding, give pill

If that doesn't work, give your vet a call in the morning and ask for a different antibiotic. Cephalexin is cheap and effective, but -- like all antibiotics -- some dogs don't get along with it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

At least 2 of my guys have had stomach problems on Cephalexin. The Vets switched them to another antibiotic. You could also try carafate (prescription) to help protect the stomach.

Guest EmilyAnne

He ate some of his food, so I went ahead and gave him the antibiotic for tonight. Meanwhile I will call the vet tomorrow morning and ask her about Pepcid or Carafate. Henry is very sensitive (triggers seizures) to one kind of antibiotic, so since the Cephalexin has not messed up his epilepsy like another antibiotic did, I'd rather find a way to make the Cephalexin work if possible.

Oh Emily! if it's not one thing, it's another!

Poor Henry. Hope his tummy is feeling better soon. We know what that's like.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MorganKonaAlex
He ate some of his food, so I went ahead and gave him the antibiotic for tonight. Meanwhile I will call the vet tomorrow morning and ask her about Pepcid or Carafate. Henry is very sensitive (triggers seizures) to one kind of antibiotic, so since the Cephalexin has not messed up his epilepsy like another antibiotic did, I'd rather find a way to make the Cephalexin work if possible.

Glad to hear he ate. I've had dogs on both Pepcid and carafate simultaneously when needed.

Sending prayers. Flashy is one that can not take Cephalexin. Keep us posted. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

My Guinness is on Doxycyclene and did fine for about 4 days...then nothing could get him to keep it down...he stopped eating because he knew he would get sick....I added 1- 10mg pepcid 20 min before the meal....mixed in 1/4 cup yogurt and 1/2 can of can food in 2 cups kibble...you would think he would hate it...NOPE ate like crazy...20 min after finishing his meal gave Doxy...been fine ever since...and he's got to take this 2 1/2 more weeks...

So glad I found what worked!

Good Luck!

Another great product to use alongside antibiotics is Forti-Flora

Pam

My Guinness is on Doxycyclene and did fine for about 4 days...then nothing could get him to keep it down...he stopped eating because he knew he would get sick....I added 1- 10mg pepcid 20 min before the meal....mixed in 1/4 cup yogurt and 1/2 can of can food in 2 cups kibble...you would think he would hate it...NOPE ate like crazy...20 min after finishing his meal gave Doxy...been fine ever since...and he's got to take this 2 1/2 more weeks...

So glad I found what worked!

Good Luck!

Bio-active yoghurt is very useful with antibiotics. Banana is a good demulcent too, if you can get him to eat it.

I think one of the most important thing with some antibiotics is to make sure they have adequate food in the stomach. We have resorted to cheese or ham sandwiches before now!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Your poor boy Henry - he has been through so much. There have already been some excellent suggestions. I can only add that having a full stomach makes it easier to get those troublesome antibiotics down without more distress. For us the biggest help has been the Pepcid (or generic brand) 20-30 min. before feeding, then the pill after eating. A yoghurt snack in the morning and afternoon between feedings also soothed their stomachs. I hope your beautiful boy is feeling better soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Emily, Saint can take pepcid with no problem at all. I'm sure Henry would be fine with it also. It really worked for Saint when he was having tummy troubles and it worked for Emmy too.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest EmilyAnne

My husband just got off the phone with vet, she said to give 1-15mg pill Pepcid per day. We told her about what ya'll suggested about giving 20 minutes before meal, and she said I can split dose in half so that I can give twice in one day since I feed Henry twice a day.

Thank you so much everyone for your help!

Judy, it always a comfort to hear when another seizure pup did just fine with a med. I tend to be nervous about a new med since the mess with Flagyl.

I'll update how the Pepcid works.

Guest EmilyAnne

A litte update, Pepcid AC has SOLVED the problem! :yay Henry eats like a trooper now.

I am blessed in that Henry has never given me problems in taking his meds. Even if he accidentally licks up all the peanut butter before getting all the pills, he still seeks out the any pills gone AWOL and gobbles it up. You would think the pills are little pieces of steak the way he is so careful not to leave any behind.

I checked first thing this morning to see how Henry is doing. Wonderful news that he is feeling better!!! :yay :yay :yay

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy