Mast Cell Tumor. Help!

tra708

hello all lovely greyhound people,

my greyhound abby had surgery to remove a tumor on her leg. the test results just came back and it's cancer...a mast cell tumor. stage 3. which i know is not good because i've already read a ton about it. i was just looking for others with real experiences with this to tell me what worked well and what didn't. please help. i'm new here and i just got home from the vet so i'm still freaked out. Abby's 12, soon to be 13, by the way. THANK YOU so much for any advice. in the meantime, i'll search this forum for more. tracy in naples, FL

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest GreytMuse

Welcome to GreyTalk, Tracy. I'm so glad you found this community, though it's at an awful time like this. :sad1

I don't have any advice or wisdom, but people will certainly show up soon who do -- please know my thoughts and prayers are with you, and I am so, so sorry you're going through cancer with your Abby. :( Please keep us updated.

I'm so sorry, Tracy, but it sounds like you're doing all the right stuff in getting help. Just wanted to offer you some support until someone who actually knows something replies to your post! :bighug

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm sure you are overwhelmed right now, learning and doing research. Try to get as much information as you can, and then make a decision regarding Abby's treatment. Any specific recommendations from your vet?

Also, Dr. Couto at OSU is a great resource. You or your vet can contact him to discuss the options available. We've been doing chemo for one of our greys at our local vet's office, but all of the protocols and medicine come from Dr. Couto. His email is couto.1 @ osu.edu (remove the spaces).

Please let us know how Abby is doing. Hang in there. :grouphug

Guest mzmazzei
I'm sure you are overwhelmed right now, learning and doing research. Try to get as much information as you can, and then make a decision regarding Abby's treatment. Any specific recommendations from your vet?

Also, Dr. Couto at OSU is a great resource. You or your vet can contact him to discuss the options available. We've been doing chemo for one of our greys at our local vet's office, but all of the protocols and medicine come from Dr. Couto. His email is couto.1 @ osu.edu (remove the spaces).

ALSO - www.pet-screen.com is looking for blood donations from dogs with Mast Cell or Osteo cancers. The blood would be drawn during other routine blood draws. The website has all the data for people and vets. This company has developed a screening test for lymphoma and a test which shows the chemo cocktail that will best attack the lymphoma in individual dogs. They are trying to develop screening tests for Mast Cell and Osteo, therefore the need for blood donations.

Best wishes to you,

thanks. and also by the way....she feels perfectly normal and great. playful and active. it's hard to believe that anything is wrong with her.

here's a youtube movie about her. check it out!!

2rqyqhd.jpg

I am so sorry that you are going through this with your Abby! Sending prayers and good thoughts to Abby and hugs of encouragement to you! And yes, by all means, contact Dr. Couto! Please let us know how Abby is doing!!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending prayers and hope that you have lots of time left together. Dr Couto and his team's contact info is under my siggie, just click on it. He and his team are dedicated to helping greyhounds and will consult with you or your vet.

You'll find a lot of support here as well as some excellent info.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sending prayers and hope that you have lots of time left together. Dr Couto and his team's contact info is under my siggie, just click on it. He and his team are dedicated to helping greyhounds and will consult with you or your vet.

You'll find a lot of support here as well as some excellent info.

thank you so much.

tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest GreytMuse
thanks. and also by the way....she feels perfectly normal and great. playful and active. it's hard to believe that anything is wrong with her.

here's a youtube movie about her. check it out!!

That is a wonderful movie, probably one of the best I've seen! :) Abby is an absolutely gorgeous girl, and the love you two share shines through so clearly. :heart

Edited by GreytMuse

Guest greydogluvr

That is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. I had tears running down my cheeks. I am so sorry. I third, fourth, fifth the recommendation for contacting Dr. Couto. I have been in contact with him over this past week and his support and knowledge has been tremendous.

Edited by greydogluvr

Such a beautiful girl....Sending more prayers. I agree...contact Dr. Couto. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Abby is beautiful! Follow everyone's advice and contact Dr. Couto. Our thoughts are with you and Abby during this difficult time. Hold her close and give her a hug from me.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest jettcricket

We lost my boy, Jett, from mast cell cancer. :( He had some small surface tumors that were removed and came back as grade one's. Then a few months later I felt a lump under his arm pit....this time it came back as a grade 3.

We opted for some chemo to try and control the tumors...Jett did fairly well, but towards the end developed numerous skin tumors that became large and ulcerated.

He lived 6 months from his diagnosis, pain free and comfortable, until we had to let him go.

Best wishes for a better outcome for your baby.

Edited to add that Jett was also on prednisone and benedryl.

Edited by jettcricket

We lost my boy, Jett, from mast cell cancer. :( He had some small surface tumors that were removed and came back as grade one's. Then a few months later I felt a lump under his arm pit....this time it came back as a grade 3.

We opted for some chemo to try and control the tumors...Jett did fairly well, but towards the end developed numerous skin tumors that became large and ulcerated.

He lived 6 months from his diagnosis, pain free and comfortable, until we had to let him go.

i'm so sorry about Jett. Can i ask how old he was? and when he was diagnosed, did he feel fine?

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest jettcricket

i'm so sorry about Jett. Can i ask how old he was? and when he was diagnosed, did he feel fine?

Jett was 9 1/2 and for the most part did very well. Thou it was an ugly cancer he was pain free. He had no ill effects from his chemo either.