I Had A Hooman Podiatrist Look At Giselle And...

Guest Giselle

Guest Giselle

...with the help of a picture of greyhound anatomy, he pinpointed exactly where, why, and suggested a possible how as to how Giselle hurt herself.

First, he checked her tendons and ligaments and probed for masses. Nothing.

Then, he started probing the pressure points. And then he found the sweet spot. It was right at the femur (as our vet had already conjectured but never fully explained). He referred to an anatomical picture of a greyhound and pointed straight to the Biceps Femoris. He then proceeded to explain to me that the reason it only hurt Giselle at that point was because she had hurt herself at the origin of the muscle. The reason she holds her leg up is because that is the most relaxed position that she can take. However, once we apply pressure to the origin of the muscle, she'll pull back and move away. That's why she can't fully extend her leg and that's why she splays her leg forward when she has to put weight on it.

So he told us his general plan for hoomans: ice, NSAID, physical therapy, slow rehabilitation, etc. But for Giselle, he said to ice and to apply a tape of sorts to prevent full extension of the leg until she can fully heal by herself.

So THERE'S the answer I was looking for!! The hooman podiatrist is a family member, so don't think I purposely scheduled an appointment for my dog :lol I don't even know why I went to the vet anymore LOL

Hmmm, my daddy was a Podiatrist. I could totally see him making house calls for greyhounds. So cool that you got some answers!

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Human doctors do some wonderful things for our hounds. When Gabriel was so sick, our vet didn't feel he could wait for testing/results, so he called a human doctor who specialized in leukemia/reading samples and X-rays. Really nice of both of them.

Congrats on having a diagnosis and a plan for recovery.

How old is she? Has she had x-rays? In a lame greyhound with pain over the femur you want to make sure there is no evidence of osteosarcoma.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest Giselle
How old is she? Has she had x-rays? In a lame greyhound with pain over the femur you want to make sure there is no evidence of osteosarcoma.

7 years old. X-rays were done, and they were "beautiful" <---in the words of the vet. ;)

Guest Dillymom

I'm glad you clarified how it was that a podiatrist was consulted. I was sitting here imagining how it came to be that you had your dog in a podiatrists office :D

Good to hear a diagnosis and a plan for recovery