Danger--bird Poop

SAVED2

Bird food can too...my friend owns a parrot rescue that I work with and has standard poodles. One of her poodles got into the pelleted food and got really sick. He was rushed to the vet but it did some damage to him. Poor boy did horrible and then well...

My boys will try to scavange in our bird room...but I watch them like hawks.

We suspect a case of gastroenteritis that hit all of our dogs last year started because they liked to drink out of the birdbath.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What are you protecting against in the bird poop? Histoplasmosis or cryptococcosis?

Cavers get exposed to histo all the time; we call it "guano head." You get it once, and get over it- except for when you don't, and it can rarely get very serious.

I knew a woman back in New Mexico whose ex-bf died of crypto. There was a pigeon infestation in the attic or garage- I forget which. No immunocompromise or other problems- he just drew the short straw.

Out here, it's coccidiomycosis, or "Valley Fever." The fungus only grows well in undisturbed soil; when the soil is broken up by excavation, etc., the spores are spread in dust. Hence the number of cases have increased thanks to (what was) the construction boom out here.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Our problem is we live out in the boon docks , up to a 100 hummingbirds , eagles , owls with 6 ft wingspans , vultures , woodpeckers and about a hundred other bird species including turkeys and Ginnie's , in our yard we planted wagon wheel pines and they like to sleep in them , we did put the water bird bath outside the fence , so anyway watch your babies.