Silly Question

Guest TinasTroops

Guest TinasTroops

It is a silly question but one I am curious about. Aside form the visits, checkups, meds and so forth does it differ greatly from Canada to the US or from State to State on what Chemo costs for our canine companions? And how often?

Edited by TinasTroops

We paid 187.00 each time ----add on 20% as we get a 20% because of greyhound adoption.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmbersDad

embers doxy treatment was cheap. the chemo drugs ran about 41 bux. she got chemo drugs from OSU gratis, which will save me a boatload of money considering i was downsized at work. dr ian said the carboplatin chemo drug would have run somewhere around $5/lb based on the dogs weight. for ember, that would have been around $300. her total cost for todays chemo treatment was $280 or so.

eta

ember is scheduled for 6 treatments. 3 doxyrubicin, and 3 carboplatin

the schedule is doxy->1 week later, cbc->1 week later carbo->one week cbc....and thats as far as we've got. i think dr ian said it was going to be 16 weeks total. one week, then off two, then off one ..something like that.

Edited by EmbersDad

I don't recall everything that was included (an entire course of treatments, many many blood tests, follow-up visits, etc) but when I consulted with an oncologist for Sissy's T-cell Lymphoma, I vividly remember the price tag being over $5000 USD. This was at the U of M. Sadly, It turned out that it was not an option for us anyway, as the cancer had spread far too fast for my little princess... she passed away four days after that consultation. :sad1

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

embers doxy treatment was cheap. the chemo drugs ran about 41 bux. she got chemo drugs from OSU gratis, which will save me a boatload of money considering i was downsized at work. dr ian said the carboplatin chemo drug would have run somewhere around $5/lb based on the dogs weight. for ember, that would have been around $300. her total cost for todays chemo treatment was $280 or so.

If it arrives correctly from OSU this week, we will get credited the amount from last time and go from there.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Yes, definitely contact OSU. We tried to pay out of pocket for quite a long time, because we didn't want to "bother" Dr. Couto or take medication away from others in need. Well, after several months, we became one of those families in need. :( We couldn't have continued without the help of Dr. Couto and OSU's program providing the medications.

Our vet's office is one of the more expensive places in town. We are aware of this and continue to go there because all of the staff and vets are greyt. On average, each chemo treatment is about $200-$300 and Bonnie needed weekly chemo. It's varied quite a bit over the last 9 months, but I won't lie...it's been very expensive. We've wiped out our savings account and are now in quite a bit of credit card debt. :cry1 It will be paid off as quickly as possible though. And, if we had to do it all over again, we would in a heartbeat. ;)

This is just our experience and I know others are very different. I'd talk to your vet and ask for a quote for a typical chemo administration. I think there is a wide range, price wise. And no...it's not a silly question at all. :blush Actually, it's good to think about the cost and budget, so you don't put yourself in a financial squeeze.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by KRKWMU

I think the cost varies more from vet to vet, not just US to Canada. Jesse's chemo treatments were $500 per, but the chemo drugs themselves were only about $100 each time. (He was 75 pounds.) The rest was for his CBC and chem panel, IV fluids and a chemotherepy nurse that attended him the entire time. He was scheduled for 6 rounds of chemotherepy, 3 weeks apart (if his WBC allowed - otherwise it was 4 weeks). This was at a specialty center though, and they are admittedly higher than the average vet. On the other hand, they are the best care money can buy. Unfortunately, sometimes all the money in the world doesn't make a difference.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

$6000 for chemo drugs (didn't know about Dr. Cuoto or the free drug program at OSU), office visits, supplies, examinations, blood work, drugs, prescription drugs, e-vet visits, overnight stays when my wonderful Vet knew I was exhausted, supplements, the original surgical removal of a lymph node, anesthesia, sutures. All that from Nov. 19, 2005 to May 1st, 2006.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Depends on the drugs and protocols being used. IT could range from a few hundred dollars for oral only less effective chemotherapy to thousands of dollars for IV chemo.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest TinasTroops

Well we think we have caught this so early on that I think it won't be a harsh or long treatment but thank you for everyones feed back on this.

I am starting to get an idea of what this is going to set me back.

Well we think we have caught this so early on that I think it won't be a harsh or long treatment but thank you for everyones feed back on this.

I am starting to get an idea of what this is going to set me back.

They'll be help out there, I just know it!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I think the cost varies more from vet to vet, not just US to Canada. Jesse's chemo treatments were $500 per, but the chemo drugs themselves were only about $100 each time. (He was 75 pounds.) The rest was for his CBC and chem panel, IV fluids and a chemotherepy nurse that attended him the entire time. He was scheduled for 6 rounds of chemotherepy, 3 weeks apart (if his WBC allowed - otherwise it was 4 weeks). This was at a specialty center though, and they are admittedly higher than the average vet. On the other hand, they are the best care money can buy. Unfortunately, sometimes all the money in the world doesn't make a difference.

Same here...$450.00 - $500.00 each treatment including labs...radiology...and meds to bring home. If it comes to this...please explore Care Credit to help with the costs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest TinasTroops

Sorry Patricia - what is care credit? And I am not sure you can get that in Canada?

Same here...$450.00 - $500.00 each treatment including labs...radiology...and meds to bring home. If it comes to this...please explore Care Credit to help with the costs. :grouphug

Guest EmbersDad

If it arrives correctly from OSU this week, we will get credited the amount from last time and go from there.

embers batch apparently did, dr ian said there were no problems and everything was 100% usable

OMG I just read this! HOLY it does work in Canada. I am taking this to my Vet next week.

This would help SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much!

You bet it helps....and no interest for one year! At least that is how it worked for us. ;)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.