Lymphoma In The Abdomen

A friend's greyhound has been diagnosed via biopsy to have lymphoma in her abdomen. Sandi, age 10, had the HGE symptoms of vomiting and bloody diarrhea. An ultrasound showed a mass in the abdomen. She lost 12 lbs. in one week.

My friend was out of town caring for a relative. She has returned home and is catching up on what happened. She will be discussing treatment options with her vet.

She does not have the details yet of exactly where in the abdomen the lymphoma was found. She doesn't know how many affected lymph nodes were found.

Since being on prednisone Sandi has regained her appetite.

What experience have you had with lymphoma in the abdomen?

Did you opt for surgery only?

Did you opt for chemotherapy?

Did you opt for pain management only?

With any or no treatment, how much longer did your dog live?

I have provided contact info for Dr Couto to my friend.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Angel LaceyLaine had Lymphoma "every where" We did chemo...She lived exactly 3 months from her diagnosis date. Some babes do VERY well on the chemo and they have much "quality" time...for our sweet girl it was not meant to be. :( Sending my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest SoulsMom

This why I did the ultrasound on Soul with his recent bout with HGE. Thank goodness it was clear, but I'd done my research and pretty much decided on chemo only and pain management if the unthinkable was found.

Sending gentle, healing thoughts :grouphug

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest greytmonty

Found this on a veterinary website:

Abdominal ultrasound in canine lymphoma: expect the unexpected

Posted by: Allison Zwingenberger, in Ultrasound Tuesday

Abdominal ultrasound is a routine part of staging a new lymphoma patient. The liver and spleen are often involved, as well as intra-abdominal lymph nodes. So what do we expect to see if these organs are infiltrated with lymphoma?

LymphomaThe liver is very commonly infiltrated with neoplastic cells in multicentric lymphoma. The most common finding is an enlarged, hypoechoic liver, where the portal vessel walls are visible well out into the periphery (image 1). Occasionally the liver will look hyperechoic or isoechoic, and you may see a mass. Ultrasound is not very sensitive at detecting liver involvement with lymphoma. It often looks normal, even though it is diffusely infiltrated with lymphoma cells.

Ultrasound is much better at detecting splenic lymphoma. The spleen looks enlarged and hypoechoic, with a “swiss cheese” pattern. The hypoechoic nodules that make up the “holes” of the swiss chese are the infiltrated white pulp of the spleen. There may be a mass lesion as well, but diffuse involvement is most common (image 2).Lymphoma

There are usually multiple abnormal abdominal lymph nodes. Commonly seen lymph nodes like the cranial mesenteric and the medial iliac lymph nodes are easy to identify. Other chains of lymph nodes that are usually too small to see with ultrasound may become involved as well. It’s helpful to know the locations of some of these other groups like the periaortic and the splenic lymph nodes to be able to identify them. The lymph node enlargement can be very variable, with extremely enlarged nodes in one location, and mildly enlarged nodes in another. They tend to be hypoechoic and rounded. Their echotexture is usually uniform, but you may see mottled or nodular lymph nodes as well. There can also be a hyperechoic rim around the lymph nodes in the mesentery, which I think is inflammation or edema.

The spleen, liver and lymph nodes are the expected findings, but there is often something unexpected as well. Lymphoma can cause a renal mass (image 3), or the GI tract might be involved. It’s important to do a thorough examination to inform the clinician of any lesions that are out of the ordinary. Fine needle aspirate is an easy technique to confirm the diagnosis of lymphoma in these organs.Lymphoma

Lamb CR, Hartzband LE, Tidwell AS, et al. Ultrasonographic findings in hepatic and splenic lymphosarcoma in dogs and cats. Veterinary Radiology 1991;32:117-120.

Ducky, here are a few articles. The last 2 are very comprehensive but I don't think you'll have any problem getting through them. Lots of details on staging, treatment protocols and prognosis.

I'm so sorry your friend and her hound are having to face this. :(

https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/07940795.htm

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetme...e/detail/132510

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetme...mp;sk=&date=

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/artic...mp;sk=&date=

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Nikki was diagnosed with lymphosarcoma on November 22, 2005 - and it was everywhere! Did chemo but she only made it half way through - she just couldn't tolerate it. Put her on massive dose of pred and she made it to May 1, 2006.

There are no easy choices or answers for lymphoma. Everyone has their own tolerance level for what they are willing to put their dog through, put themselves and their families through and what they can afford. As others have said more eloquently than I, talk with trusted friends, your Vet and do some research. Ask about treatment options, side effects, alternative medicine, cost and quality of life issues. Whatever decision is made will be the right one.

I am so sorry that your friend is facing these challenges. I will hold her and her hound gently in my heart and sending many prayers her way.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greybookends

Sandi is to sweet a girl to have to go through this. Heck they all are. Come on sweetie fight. Playgroups are never as much fun without you as they are with you.

:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Really depends on the Lymphoma and the patient. Neko my kitty has a type that responds well to treatment. he was diagnosed two years ago and is going strong. He eats well most days and rarely vomits. He doesn't play as much, but he will be 17 in February. He is on chemo (2 pills every other Friday) and Pred every other day. My vet didn't think he would still be around two years later and is now calling him the miracle kitty.

Will be keeping your friends pup in my prayers.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>