Osteo Sarcoma

Guest kelli123

Guest kelli123

Does any one know What the youngest reported case of osteo sarcoma is? Geno my 9yr old was diagnosed 3 months before his 10th birthday,

The cancer had already spread to his lungs. He lived 3 months after diagnois.

We adopted a 3 year old female 3 weeks later. And has just been the perfect angel. She has now started to limp,im scared to death that she has it.there are no visual signs why she is limping so ifear the worst. We will be going to the doctor tomorrow and Im scared of what he might say.

It is rare that a really young dog will have osteo, but not impossible. There was a puppy here on GT around a year that had it. I can't remember who that was.

Most limping is not osteo. It is usually soft tissue a muscle, or ligament injury. Sometimes no reason you can pin point. Jake has had two bouts of lameness with swelling and we have no idea why. Neither did Dr Couto, although he assured me it was not a tumor.

Have you checked the pads of her feet thoroughly? She may have a corn or other toe ailment.

Try not to worry. Let us know how tomorrow goes. Lots of prayers and good vibes coming your way.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest kelli123

I have looked at her foot dont see any thing i wish i did. But then again i dont know what a corn looks like. So that is why we will be going to the doc. Thanks so much for the reply. My DB thinks i shouldnt over react but after watching our love (Geno) go through it im scared to death. And there is so much cancer going on even in the adoption group i got her from im just freeking. scared to také her scared not to také her.WISH her and i could just run away from the problem.

Guest BasilMom

My Holly had just turned five years old when she was diagnosed with OS in ther shoulder. I think I read somewhere that there was a puppy that was months old that was stricken with this horrible illness.

Guest HornGreys

My personal greyhound Dottie was diagnosed at the age of 6 years old. And we lost her about 3 1/2 months after.

My friend brought in a foster boy that was just over a year old with Osteo. His name was Warrior. That is the youngest that I have seen and our vet was shocked to see it in such a young grey.

Prayers that it is nothing bad with your baby.

I don't have the facts bu I was told by someone at a track that Beau's brother Jicky Jack, born 5/26/04 died from it under 2.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it's what I was told when I was looking for sibs 2 years ago.

And if anyone could find out the real deal, I would like to know.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest jcsperson

She's not a Greyhound, but my brother's Bullmastiff was just diagnosed with osteo just above her rear knee. The prognosis is not good. She's just four.

Guest kelli123

Oh my, 1yrs old to have it thats awfull. I was researching the web on average age of greyhounds being diagnosed and finding average was 8yrs and older, boys more than girls,and the larger the dog the more likely to get it .(On cases reported and studied)

That's intersting about the male vs female and weight. I had noticed how many girls at once got it. Polli, Ember, Brooke (Run Free Princess), Jamiaca, Maggie Mae, Cookie- ALL girls diagnosed within a month or so of one another.

It's scary to think that there are even more boys with it. :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

It is rare that a really young dog will have osteo, but not impossible. There was a puppy here on GT around a year that had it. I can't remember who that was.

That was Vinnie wasn't it? The AKC bred boy. I don't think he was even two.

To the OP, a dog that young I would look at the toe pads for corns first and then move on to soft tissue injury.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest kelli123

I will tell the doc about the corns and soft tissue. Hopefully he will already know that. We are in a very small town under 500 people im the only one to have greyhounds at any of the vets around me. We have a 11yr old boy (zane) and (gracie) 3yrs. Geno that has passed at 9yrs. we are his only experience. He told me he would studie up on the greyhounds when we started going to him 8yrs ago. So far he hasnt let us down.

THere is the pamplet from Dr. Feeman which is on GT called Greyhound Medical Idosyncrasies. Print that out for yours and the vet's reference. It's very good to have at hand. (if you don't have it!)

My group adopted out a Greyhound named "Steel County" back in 1999 that died of OS when he was 3 - it was and is so unusual that I still remember his name! I would definitely NOT jump to any conclusions about your pup. There are lots of reasons for a limp and 95% of them are not cancer.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

There was a puppy on here that had it...I don't even think it was 1 year yet...I remember it being quite heart-breaking. :( With that being said, there are MANY other causes of 'limping' so try to stay positive. Sending you good vibes.... :goodluck:hope

Maybe it was Vinnie that I am thinking of...he was 14 months old. :(

There was a puppy, Vinnie, who had OS before age 1 year--but he was an AKC pup.

Can you tell us where you live? If you can give us a state or region, then we can help you get to a not-too-far-away bigger city where you might get greyhound specialty care.

Chanting that it's just corns,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest kelli123

Just got back from the doc office. Thanks for the. prayers, they worked NO cancer hurray.Gracie has a slightly torn (stained) cruciate. There are options. (1) no exersize on her own only on a leash.for up to 9months (2) there is a brace called the anti-translational cruciate brace (3)surgery. Doc thinks sence she is still able to put weight on it we should do #1 or#2. Any one have a opinion on what i should do? I hate to do sugery now. If the brace might help. Any one heard of the brace ? Its around $350.0

Just got back from the doc office. Thanks for the. prayers, they worked NO cancer hurray.Gracie has a slightly torn (stained) cruciate. There are options. (1) no exersize on her own only on a leash.for up to 9months (2) there is a brace called the anti-translational cruciate brace (3)surgery. Doc thinks sence she is still able to put weight on it we should do #1 or#2. Any one have a opinion on what i should do? I hate to do sugery now. If the brace might help. Any one heard of the brace ? Its around $350.0

I sent the question to Dr Couto as well as the one about the sedative.

I forgot to tell you my daughter's dog a malamute english sheepdog cross had the same problem. They opted not to do the surger, they did restricted activity, especially running and jumping. It worked, and she is great now 6 years later. I'm interested to see what Dr Couto has to say about that.

Does anyone still have that link Dr Bill posted awhile ago to his article Greyhound Medical Idosyncrasies?

Here's a link to the thread with the links

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Hi All - I am so glad your baby does not have osteo! It is heartbreaking to say the very least.

Yes, we are the one with the puppy who passed from osteo. Our Angel Vinnie (our avatar picture is Vinnie) was just 11 months old when diagnosed, we did amputation of his right front leg and chemo and we walked him to the Bridge on his 14 month birthday.

From the studies that he was in (1 for Dr. Cuoto and one for AKC), we were told at the time that he was the youngest known case, and in it's most aggressive form. No warning leading up to the diagnosis and even with everything that we did, it was not meant to be. Our oncologist said that his was the most aggressive she had seen - not sure if that was due to the fact that he was still growing as he was a puppy or not.

We were able to go back in his bloodline quite a ways and get blood from relatives to help both studies, since he was so young, mom, dad, grandparents and even a great grandparent were still alive at the time of his diagnosis. Everyone else in his litter is fine, in fact we have his sister, Gracie, who is now 3 1/2 years old.

Again, so very glad to know that your baby does not have osteo. Hope her paw/foot heals quickly. Hugs and scritches.

Guest kelli123

So sorry you lost Vinnie so young its just awful.i no how that disease spreads so fast.some times you have no warrning and its just to late, as it was for my Geno who passed away @ 9yrs. Thats why i was freaking out about gracie. Doc told me her injurie is sorta like when a person tears ther acl. I have heard of that with football players. We just need to make up our minds on how to treat this. Thanks again for the prayers. It kept the cancer away for now

Guest Cammie476

I am SO happy to hear that you are not battling osteo with your pup.

I would add to this discussion that I lost my boy Ace to osteo at age 4. Way too young.

I also know that he has a brother out there who is osteo-free and is now over 10 years old.

Paula

Guest SueG201

I lost my first greyhound at age 5 to osetosarcoma of the shoulder, then I lost my heartboy

Joe to osteo of the back leg just shy of his 10th birthday. It still hurts, my greyhound I have

currently is almost 10, never raced, I got her as a pup has been as healthy as can be.

I just pray I never have to go thru the pain and the loss again