Excessive Pooping

msjpk

Plummer poops like other dogs urinate. Since he has been with me I have noticed that whenever I let him in the yard which could be 5x a day, he will poop. He is otherwise healthy. Any thoughts? He has been this way since the day we got him.

How is his weight?

What are you feeding and how much?

Could be the quantity/type of food, could be just him. Our late whippet would poop every time he went outside -- he was just compelled to squeeze some out. On the other hand, there have been a couple foods that caused amazing amounts of poop from Joseph -- Timberwolf Organics and Chicken Soup FTDLS; good poop but waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion to the amount of food fed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This cracks me up! I was wondering the same. My 57 lb female, Holly, is the biggest pooper, I swear. Like a Play-Doh Fun Factory. :lol My two hounds are fed the same, but Holly poops way more than my male, Indy.

Holly never used to poop so much, but over the years, she morphed into a master turd burglar. I've concluded the reason she poops so much is because it dramatically increases her chances of burgling one or two when I'm not looking. :chow

As for Plummer, gee, if he's not a poo eater and everything checks out okay, perhaps it's either the food or just the way he is???

If he's normal weight and is healthy I'd guess he is just fine.

Carl is a PROLIFIC pooper, so much so that I wonder how he maintains his weight. My b/f thinks he poops more than he eats! I took him to the vet once before he'd had his morning poop and after he'd had breakfast. He weighed 5 LBS more than usual!!!!!!!!!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest EmilyAnne

The only experience I have with excess pooping was back when I was very first experimenting with homecooked, and I was adding ground raw veggies to my dog's kibble. It made Riley poup excessively, but not Henry, though Henry was getting quite a bit more. Different dogs can have different dietary/vitamin/mineral requirements. Any excess goes out the back door. That's my theory.

With humans I know excess protein can cause excess bm's, so I imagine the same could apply to dogs?