Phaelin Had A Seizure Last Night

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. I know it is crazy out there with the fires and that it is so difficult to get around with the freeways closed or detoured. But definitely wanted to see how Phaelin is doing today along with you? Sending hugs and scritches and chanting good thoughts.

Just seeing this now, Paula. :( Hopefully your sweet boy just had a one-time episode and will be just fine. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

How is Phaelin doing today? I'm sending good thoughts your way, you had a plateful the last few days. Have you been to the vet with him since it happened?

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

How is Phaelin doing today? I'm sending good thoughts your way, you had a plateful the last few days. Have you been to the vet with him since it happened?

Thanks for asking. I took him to the vet on Sunday (and then got a nasty migraine afterwards so didn't get a chance to post an update). We did bloodwork and a urinalysis and are supposed to get the results by today. I haven't heard if they found anything (I'm pretty doubtful they will) but I'll call them after lunch and see what they say. Dr. Austin says he's doubtful it was the treats that caused the seizure, so we'll have to see what the other tests show.

Just seeing this now, Paula. :( Hopefully your sweet boy just had a one-time episode and will be just fine. :hope

I had hoped this was a one time episode, but after it happened, I realized I had found what looked like quite a bit of dried saliva under our dining room table.....I'm thinking he might have had a seizure there before this latest one. :( It's hard to say since we didn't see him seize there. I am definitely more aware of the fact that he could have more seizures, although I hope he doesn't.

Luckily, our other dogs were good with him Thursday night/Friday morning during the seizure. When we woke up that morning, Little One was laying in bed with Phaelin......something she doesn't usually do. She also went to bed with him Friday night. Little One came into a shelter with puppies not too long before we took her in. Phaelin was a puppy when we got her, so I think she feels sort of motherly towards him.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

We got the lab results back on Phaelin.....the urinalysis is fine and the bloodwork came out pretty much ok too. His thyroid level is low, so I'll be taking him back in for more testing on that.

Mike and I have realized that the seizure we saw was more than likely his second seizure. :( I'm hoping he doesn't have any more, but I'm a little more prepared now if he does.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

We got the lab results back on Phaelin.....the urinalysis is fine and the bloodwork came out pretty much ok too. His thyroid level is low, so I'll be taking him back in for more testing on that.

Mike and I have realized that the seizure we saw was more than likely his second seizure. :( I'm hoping he doesn't have any more, but I'm a little more prepared now if he does.

That cuts both ways, it's a comfort to know his labs are all good, but so frustrating that there's nothing to point to that can be "fixed".

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest EmilyAnne

I too would prefer to have something like Hypothyroidism to treat and know the cause of the seizures. But do take heart, if the need should arise, many seizure dogs have gotten excellent control with meds. Henry went from having massive Grand-Mals every 8-9 days to being 53 days Grand-Mal free today! :)

Keep an eye out for if Phaelin is having little focal seizures. Those might be able to help you figure out triggers by looking at the last 24 or less hours. Stress is one definate very common trigger among seizure dogs. With Henry focals seem to happen in the mouth area, either in the form of a rythmic lick, chomp, lick, chomp, lick, chomp, or snapping in the air. (Make sure there's no flies, it could just be a fly causing the snapping in air)

Here's a good post Ahicks wrote a few days ago, check it out~ http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=3703458

I tried just about everything under the sun for Henry. I think it would have all been more effective if I had caught the epilepsy early before a pattern got burnt into the brain by so many massive seizures.

Maybe Little One will be your siezure alert dog - if she's that sensitive, she may know when Phaelin will have another seizure. I'd keep my eye on her! Let's hope that whatever is causing these seizures can be brought under control quickly and easily. In the meantime, sending good thoughts for Phaelin and you!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead