Now That Parker's Home - The Healing Has Begun

k9fun

Yes my boy is home. We got home after 8:00 last night. The surgeon gave us strict orders to keep him calm, no exercise and limit activity. Okay so he normally sleeps on the bed, we figure this might not be a good option while he recovers so we drag in the super jumbo deluxe crate from the garage attic, put it together complete with comfy bedding and set it up right next to my side of the bed. So after dinner we lead him to the crate, he puts on the breaks and goes for the bed. Okay so we figure let's let him rest for a little while then we will try again. Yea right! A little while later I look in the crate Sparky has gone in there and is sound asleep. Parker was also sacked out in our bed still and never woke up the rest of the night. We slept with him between us and DH and I kept a hand on him all night. I think he slept better than we did. As I watch him sleep I realize that due to the size of the cast the crate probably would not work anyway.

This morning he looked so much better. When you look in his eyes he is fully engaged again. He is eating well and all other body functions are working. We did notice today that he usually turns clockwise to lay down (maybe 2 or 3 circles around) now with the cast he needs to turn counterclockwise so that the cast is on the topside. This has been frustrating to him but he is figuring it out. What we notice most is it is really hard for him to get comfortable. He seems most content in our bed but I don't want him jumping up and down so we have been lifting him.

P1000956-1.JPG

So my question is any of you that have gone through this before do you have any words of wisdom to offer? Any tricks that you learned? Any cool things to protect the cast from moisture if it rains? Any containment tricks?

I figure I am going to have to muzzle him if we have to go out and can't watch him because he was starting to pull the fluffy stuff of the top of the cast today :blink:

All in all not a bad first day...

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

I think I'm in love! :wub::wub: He's absolutely stunning! Like he doesn't know it either, right??? ;)

I have no experience with casts or broken bones or anything skeletal. Just had to pledge my undying love for studly Parker. Heal quickly, Parker-honey, because Mom and Dad need some sleep.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Awww...bless his precious heart. Kari gave us a boot that had Velcro straps that Pavé wore outside with her cast. It covered her WHOLE entire leg. Hug Parker for me. :grouphug:wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Awww...bless his precious heart. Kari gave us a boot that had Velcro straps that Pavé wore outside with her cast. It covered her WHOLE entire leg. Hug Parker for me. :grouphug:wub:

Thanks Patti, do you have a picture of this boot? Do you know where I could get one?

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

You can use a newspaper wrap or a plastic bag in a pinch. The vet will usually give you an IV bag or a Speciman bag. You can hold it on with a bigger sized rubber band or what I found that was PERFECT is velco wire wrap (you can find it at Lowes, etc) - makes for an easy on/off.

The only other hints are keep him on a lead when he's outside so he doesn't run on it and if he shows ANY sign of licking at the cast or if he starts limping more, get him to the vet right away to check the wrap. It's so easy to get sores under the cast and they take forever to heal - really hurt them too.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest vahoundlover

No advice here, I've never dealt with a broken leg. I would think Glad Press n Seal would work to protect the cast in bad weather :dunno

Sounds like Parker is doing pretty good :clap

We had a full leg boot from medivet products in a size large when Beau had a cast on for 6 weeks. It was greyt.

See if the vet has one for you (that's where we got ours) or I bet you can get it online.

Your boy is so sweet.

ETA- here it is, this is the one we have. http://www.medivetproducts.com/

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He's a big boy to lift...........how about getting a ramp or doggie stairs for the bed? A ramp would probably work better with the cast.

Go to Home Depot, pick up a 1 inch thick, 2 foot wide board and staple carpet on it or rubber backing. That's all you need. It's not meant to be portable.