Does Flagyl And Panacur Cause Thirst?

Guest EnzaFerrari

Guest EnzaFerrari

As I mentioned previously, after a week of trying to figure out why Enza had diarrhea that was not clearing up, I took her into the vet after she was lethargic and not drinking water etc. She was given Flagyl and the ID wet food and immediately saw a difference with solid poops and energy back. She even began to drink water - she wasn't dehydrated but the vet said - "on her way".

I received a phonecall last night saying the fecal sample came back positive for hookworms. So she is back on panacur plus the flagyl and she will be given another round of the panacur in three weeks. (While I am not thrilled it's hookworms, I am pleased it is something specific vs not knowing, shrugs, and possible allergies.)

Today - and thank goodness I'm home - she has had to pee a LOT and she is finally drinking a lot of water. Is it a result of the drugs or just that her body is finally be hydrated properly? I don't think it's a UTI as it is a lot of urine and no blood or trying to pee with nothing coming out.

:dunno Molly had hookworms, and Fletcher has been on Flagyl several times for his IBD, I didn't notice any increase in drinking or peeing, but I've never had one on both Panacur and Flagyl at the same time.

or maybe Fletcher was once, but it was so long ago (when he was first diagnosed) I don't remember. sorry not to be of more help.

Could be rehydrating after her bout of diarrhea, could be the meds are upsetting her tummy a little and she's drinking to make it feel better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.