Hematoma After Blood Draw

Guest Gingy

Last question i'll ask today, i promise! Yesterday when they drew blood from her right front leg at the vet, I noticed it got puffy and pointed this out to the vet tech. They took her back and wrapped it up, and the vet said it was a hematoma, and to keep the wrap on for the afternoon and she should be fine. I took it off a few hours later in the late afternoon, and this is what it looks like today.

IMG_7587.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

She's walking around and playing, but i'm concerned because it's so puffy. Should I wrap it again, leave it alone, or take her to the emergency vet, or do some other form of home care? For people I'd wrap it, elevate and ice it, but i'm not sure for a grey.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd call your vet office. I've never hd that bad a hematoma from a draw on mine. Do yuo know if your grey has ever been checked for clotting problems - Von Willeband disease ? click here

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I agree with the above...the vet should probably see that again (no charge) and I would have her tested for von willebrands. my angel Bailey had a hematoma on her neck after a blood draw and it was golf ball sized...as it dissipated her whole chest area became bright red! she had von Willebrands and blood was never taken from her neck again, and pressure bandages were applied afterwards...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I don't think Lucy wants to have that tech draw her blood ever again either :)

The vet is closed for the weekend, but is it ok just to leave it the way it is until Monday?