Can We Get A Eat Polli Eat Chant Going...

RobinM

Day after chemo and Polli just ain't eating.

Prior to chemo yesterday she had 6 burpdog biscuits and a couple of zukes. I wanted anything in her since I knew that after could be an issue.

At 11PM last night she decided she would eat 6 Ritz crackers with peanut butter on it. Peanut butter is a favorite.

She also had 1/2 can of Blue" chicken with 1/4 cup of kibble.

Her normal meal is once a day (her choice) of 1 to 1 1/4 (on a good day) cup with either boiled chicken breast (a lot) or canned food.

Today, she has had several zukes and a couple of her peanut butter cookies. I have 4 opened cans of food that I have tried so far mixed with kibble. The food is all in the garbage. She is exceptionally picky to begin with. She doesn't like beef, eggs, cheese etc.

The only things she does like is some wet food (tripe), chicken, peanut butter. That is it.

But right now, nothing is doing the trick. I just gave her a pepcid so hopefully she will eat a bit later like she did last night. When I put out one of the new wet foods mixed with the kibble, i could tell she wanted to eat it, but is probably feeling like ka ka. She liked it and put her head back down. She eats in the bed lying down.

Come on Polli~ Please.

Tonight even Burpdog biscuits aren't working. :(

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest p51crazyhorse

stupid question maybe, but have you tried it warm?

When I first started fostering Daddy Duke he had a severe respiratory infection and wouldnt eat, I blended his kibble and added wet food and water till you could shape it into sloppy mushy balls and just pushed it down his throat, if it comes to that..... It really helped Duke, but have some towels ready.

Guest SoulsMom

Yum-yum, Polli! Eat Pretty Girl, Eat up Sweet Polli . . . .

(When I was a kid I was very picky and my Dad would always say "Eat Amber!" over and over. Finally, in a last desperate attempt he would comment that a giant monster was going to come out of the sky and gobble me up. :o Somehow I don't think that would work with Polli)

This may sound odd but you might try some chicken noodle soup. Hope her appetite picks up atleast she has eaten something today so that is good.

Oops forgot my chant.....Come onnnnn Polli

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

stupid question maybe, but have you tried it warm?

When I first started fostering Daddy Duke he had a severe respiratory infection and wouldnt eat, I blended his kibble and added wet food and water till you could shape it into sloppy mushy balls and just pushed it down his throat, if it comes to that..... It really helped Duke, but have some towels ready.

always do warm. tonight did it warm, cold and cool.

This sux.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

When we had the same issues with Bonnie and her chemo, the only thing that really helped was Cerenia medication. We could tell that Bonnie was interested in eating, she just wouldn't (and couldn't) because of the nausea. The other big thing that helped was switching to a "human" bowl. For some reason, that made her start eating. :dunno

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's so frustrating and makes you feel so helpless. Let us know how things go. :goodluck

Edited to add that eventually we just added the Cerenia to our permanent chemo protocol. The day that she got the chemo, she'd also get a dose of Cerenia. At first, it was the injection (which can burn), then we were able to switch to oral pills. DH and I consider it a "Miracle Drug"!!! :colgate

Edited by KRKWMU

Adding our chant - please Miss Polli eat!

Have you tried rotis chix or peanut butter cookies? Chix livers and of all things noodles like spaghetti noodles?

Guest EmilyAnne

I don't know if this applies to canines, but I know humans often get sores in their mouth when going through chemo, and so they drink nutritional drinks when their mouth hurts too much to eat. Can canines have any of those nutritional drinks? Is there a way to make them more tasty and appealing? Just trying to drum up ideas.

Eat Polli, come on girl, show em what your made of!

Edited by EmilyAnne

It worked once for us...toast with jelly. Do you have Zofran? Angel LaceyLaine took Zofran while on chemo and so does Fred...it really helps. Cerenia just was not strong enough for Lacers. Chanting....eat sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

When we had the same issues with Bonnie and her chemo, the only thing that really helped was Cerenia medication. We could tell that Bonnie was interested in eating, she just wouldn't (and couldn't) because of the nausea. The other big thing that helped was switching to a "human" bowl. For some reason, that made her start eating. :dunno

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's so frustrating and makes you feel so helpless. Let us know how things go. :goodluck

Edited to add that eventually we just added the Cerenia to our permanent chemo protocol. The day that she got the chemo, she'd also get a dose of Cerenia. At first, it was the injection (which can burn), then we were able to switch to oral pills. DH and I consider it a "Miracle Drug"!!! :colgate

Never hear of it. is it too late to give it to her now and it is by RX or over the counter? Is it a human drug? If so, I can write it up in my office.

ETA- I just did a search and see it's for dogs. one of the side effects is "can cause lack of appetite", I'm sure that is not the norm, but it's on there as one of the side effects!!!!

Pollli doesn't eat from a bowl to begin with, It has to be on a towel. Oh don't ask the hoops we jump through on a daily baisis for her. She is the biggest PITA but she is my PITA and I love her!!!!!

Scary to report that she only had one peanut butter and ritz craker.

Patti- DH just went out to get ensure. However, i don't believe they get the sores you were thinking about. This particular chemo has the least side effects. :huh I understand it gets worse as the course continues as the chemo builds up.

Dh also picked up chicken noodle soup. We will open the kitchen in a few minutes again and go through the whole gambit and ry everything there is.

She is interested, but just can't bring herself to do it.

Edited by RobinM

Guest crazy4greys

Try Vanilla Ensure if the vet says okay. It worked for my foster boy Blitz when he needed to gain weight and peek his appetite.

Come on Polli! Time to eat!!! :D:chow :chow :chow :chow

I am having the same problem with Bell right now. Today i got her to eat a salmon burger for lunch, served warm straight from the pan. She wouldn't eat the chicken she scarfed up last night. For dinner I cooked a cheeseburger in the salmon juice and she did eat that also, until it got cold. She ate the rest after I warmed it back up. Bell won't eat from her bowl anymore, I have to serve her food off of the human plates.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Never hear of it. is it too late to give it to her now and it is by RX or over the counter? Is it a human drug? If so, I can write it up in my office.

ETA- I just did a search and see it's for dogs. one of the side effects is "can cause lack of appetite", I'm sure that is not the norm, but it's on there as one of the side effects!!!!

Pollli doesn't eat from a bowl to begin with, It has to be on a towel. Oh don't ask the hoops we jump through on a daily baisis for her. She is the biggest PITA but she is my PITA and I love her!!!!!

Patti- DH just went out to get ensure. However, i don't believe they get the sores you were thinking about. This particular chemo has the least side effects. :huh I understand it gets worse as the course continues as the chemo builds up.

Dh also picked up chicken noodle soup. We will open the kitchen in a few minutes again and go through the whole gambit and ry everything there is.

I'm not sure if it's a human medication, I don't think it is. Our vets are all pleased with Cerenia. They told us it's been a miracle for so many dogs (and cats too). I know it's a fairly new medication. Maybe your vet could do the Cerenia injection if Polli still isn't eating well. Something to ask about. We'll be thinking about Polli. :goodluck

Try Vanilla Ensure if the vet says okay. It worked for my foster boy Blitz when he needed to gain weight and peek his appetite.

Come on Polli! Time to eat!!! :D:chow :chow :chow :chow

Dh just came home with a 6 pack and she took 3 licks. She's done. :unsure

I don;t know when to call it "a night". I guess I'll give it a rest again and try in another hour.

This is totally random, but I was on this antidepressant booster that made me eat everything in sight and I learmed it was used off label in canine cancer patients to increase appitite. Brand name is Remeron, but there is a generic.

Is there something in particular you don't want her to eat (like fast food?) With Rex was sick (but not on chemo) if I could just get him started with anything he'd go on and eat canned and sometimes kibble. Braunschwager, tuna, freeze dried liver. sardines, cheese and scrambled eggs were good primers. It was just getting those first few bites down and somehow it sort of went on better.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I understand it gets worse as the course continues as the chemo builds up.

From my personal experience with chemo, the side effects aren't any worse in later treatments. It just takes a little longer to bounce back after each one.

Morgan likes carnation instant breakfast (french vanilla) better than vanilla ensure. :dunno

I'm not sure if it's a human medication, I don't think it is. Our vets are all pleased with Cerenia. They told us it's been a miracle for so many dogs (and cats too). I know it's a fairly new medication. Maybe your vet could do the Cerenia injection if Polli still isn't eating well. Something to ask about. We'll be thinking about Polli. :goodluck

Cerenia is a great drug that really does work.We're using it for Misty and I know there are several people here who have used it as well. Please eat Polli

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Cerenia (maropitant citrate) is an anti-emetic (anti-vomiting) product indicated for the treatment and prevention of acute emesis (including emesis induced by chemotherapy) and the prevention of vomiting due to motion sickness in dogs.

This is from the Pfizer literature. It works on the emesis center in the brain for vomiting. Hopefully her nausea passes naturally on its own, but you might ask your vet about it.

I will keep my fingers crossed she will like the chicken noodle soup.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~