Polli's 2nd Chemo Coming Up.

RobinM

Polli’s 2nd chemo is right around the corner. Monday.

I’m scared. I know this is going to be a major setback for her emotionally. She is not yet back all the way emotionally so this is going to be 3 feet front, 2 feet back.

Other than the emotional end of it, what can I expect and for how long?

Her first chemo was done when she was in the hospital, the very next day after her amputation so I did not know what she experienced as she came home the next day and she was just a mess from the WHOLE experience.

I’m sick thinking of what she is going to experience.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest jettcricket

Robin...it may not be that bad. Cricket had no problems with her chemo/radiation treatments other than being a little tired. Wishing your girl good luck on Monday!!

Guest EmbersDad

thats my understanding too. it doesnt affect hounds like people. her hair wont fall out. the most common side effect is being tired and maybe a liitle off as far as eating.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Depends on the dog and which chemo. The worst case for my dogs was a bit lethargic and off their appetite for a few days. Some dogs don't show any symptoms whatsoever.

Depends on the dog and which chemo. The worst case for my dogs was a bit lethargic and off their appetite for a few days. Some dogs don't show any symptoms whatsoever.

the only chemo we are doing is the Carboplatin.

i'm sure she will be fine.

I'm scared. We've come such a long way. And I KNOW just walking into the vet is going to be a major issue. They told me the chemo itself is only 20 minutes. She will have her bloods done first, then chemo, then a pee pee, then Mommy will be coming to take her home.

I've already put in for 1/2 day Monday.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

With Vinnie - we took him in first thing in the morning (7am ish) and they would call when done - usually about 11:30am ish. We would then drive through Carls Junior and he would eat 2 plain hamburgers and eat a cup of ice and lay down and sleep the rest of the afternoon. He loved our oncologist and her helpers and was always happy to go in (which is the direct opposite of his sister who gets anxious just being in the vets parking lot!). The chemo never made him sick and he never lost his appetite thanks to the magic window! :lol Remember to stay happy with her and try not to be anxious as she will definitely pick up on that. And when she gets home just give her a special treat and let her rest. Keeping you in our thoughts and sending hugs.

It really depends. Angel LaceyLaine did lose a LOT of hair...and she had loose stools and no appetite. She would bounce back and then it would be time for chemo again...however...with Lymphoma it is a different protocol and much more often. I have a feeling your little girl will do well...ask them to give her something for nausea through her IV before they administer her chemo. Sending prayers and hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Neither of mine had an emotional problem with chemo. With Carboplatin, my difficult eater Morgan did have a depressed appetite and was lethargic for a few days. Alex, my good eater, had no symptoms whatsoever.

the only chemo we are doing is the Carboplatin.

i'm sure she will be fine.

I'm scared. We've come such a long way. And I KNOW just walking into the vet is going to be a major issue. They told me the chemo itself is only 20 minutes. She will have her bloods done first, then chemo, then a pee pee, then Mommy will be coming to take her home.

I've already put in for 1/2 day Monday.

Guest HeatherDemps

I don't know about that specific chemo, but Dempsey did not experience significant side effects. He'd spend most of the day at the vet hospital- blood work, etc and hanging out with the docs, getting the chemo, then waiting until "official" pick up time. All in all, he was usually there 5ish hours and when I'd pick him up he was mostly just tired. He would eat dinner fine, but then the next day the appetite would start to diminish. He was on Pepcid AC throughout the chemo and then got a pill 1x after the chemo treatments to stimulate appetite. He also got a med consistently for the Big D. Appetite loss and some runny poo and that initial tiredness were the only side effects that we saw. Remember, Polli will pick up on your anxiety so try to relax as much as possible and hope for the best!

Guest IrskasMom

Having never experienced any of that , I can't even imagen what you Robin & Polli and Tom & Ember are going through.

Please be assured, you are always in my Thoughts and Prayers . Hugs to all of you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Sending positive thoughts from here for Polli........

Sure she'll be fine.

ya know, I kinda know that too. She doesn't need to stay long and my vet wants her out of there as quickly as possible. She knews how greyhounds stress and she knows my dogs and is very sensitive to the fact that they don't do well while at the vet.

Polli has not had the best of things happen to her at the vet. First time there, she lost 17 teeth. Then a few visits of proking and proding and then they took her leg. I can understand why she stresses so much.

I talk to her and I even had Tina Hasset, animal communicator talk to her to try and get her to understand what's going on. Polli wanted no part of it.

She is a subborn gal!

I KNOW that Polli will do great and this will not be a setback for her. I know it.

I will keep her and her mommy in my prayers on Monday.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Darcy had no side effects at ALL from her carboplatin. She was in and out of the vets within an hour (and that hour included us chatting to the staff, them setting up for the giving of the chemo, giving the chemo itself, chatting some more etc) and that was it. No side effects at all. Maybe she was a little tired a few days later but it's hard to tell with a deerhound (or a greyhound!).

Love to Polli and you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!