Concern Over Heart Rate...?

Guest Wpgkeith

Guest Wpgkeith

Hi All,

As I was getting ready to leave for work this morning, Riley was acting a little weird.... :unsure

We went for our usual quick squirt before leaving him... no problems there. But when we got back home I noticed he was trembling... I checked out, feeling his muscled chest and shoulders and noticed that his heart rate was quite quick...?! Then when we went upstairs so he could go into the bedroom, he was very hesitant... he actually went back downstairs. I offered him the back door for a last (no this time really) Grass Break, but he would have none of it. So I showed him the treat for going upstairs and again, he happily bounced up the stairs. :blink:

Last night, at about 2 am he woke both DW and me up by having a little GSOD/Whimper. I woke up, got down beside him...nothing seemd untoward... no hard tummy, no problem at all??? It was as if he was still sleeping, but had loud whimpered in his dream/sleep... 5 minutes later, he was roaching away like nothing happened?

So... before I go wheeling off to the vet... does this sound like something to be worried about? Should DW go home at lunch to check on him? Can he wait till 2:30 when I get home?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

:unsure

K

Have you taken his temperature? Is he panting at all, or just trembling?

At our old house, Dazzle sometimes got spooked by seemingly nothing at all-- perhaps a scent in the air (we joke that there are ghosts that only she can see) that only she smelled. The other two pups never reacted at all. But Dazzle would act extremely skittish, pacing and trembling, and too stressed out to eat even a cookie... I never figured out what the trigger was, but since we've moved, it hasn't happened. :dunno

Upshot is, perhaps Riley smelled something that spooked him?

The squeal during the night-- do you think that's related? Seems like perhaps a separate incident? Maybe just a dream. Tipper makes all sorts of crazy dreaming noises. Yelps, barks, growls...

ETA: Dazzles "episodes" always calmed after an hour or two. If Riley's heartrate stays high for longer, I'd be calling the vet.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I would check on him at lunch for sure. I don't have much experience with this, but if his heart is still racing at lunch I'd take him to the vet.

I hope he is fine.

Or maybe he was acting strange because of the run yesterday? Lily tends to sleep deeper and "yip" in her sleep on nights after a good run with the gang. His racing heart is a concern though...

Keep us posted...

Image removed. Not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 17.51 KB (17,929 bytes) file size.

Guest Wpgkeith

Can't make it home at lunch... obviously as I am writing this over m lunch... but I will end my class a bit early and get home by 2.

Thanks for various input... probably isn't much, but it is concerning.

K

Guest EmilyAnne

If he has anymore episodes, or isn't better when you get home, I'd take him to the vet and explain the episodes. There is that possibility something could be going on physically or about to go on that is hopefully easily fixable. It's nice to have these warning signs. (Henry behaves this way, complete with rapid hard heart rate before a big seizure, not to say I think Riley is going to have a seizure, but just to say there is a possibility it could be related to physical health)

Hopefully something *not* connected to his health just spooked him and that's all it is.

Any chance you can get out of work early enough that you would still be able to take your grey to your regular vet if need be as opposed to the e-vet?

Guest Wpgkeith

Well... been home for 30 minutes... he looked at me ... like... what... ? Got a cookie?

He seems to be fine. :yay

I'll keep him under a watchful eye. Could just be the two unrelated events happened in close enough proximity to set off my internal alarm --- I can "catastroph-ize" with the best of them!

I am more certain that he was chasing a really big bunny that turned on him last night - :lol

Thanks for you input, We'll keep an eye on him, but so far - no need to run to the vet.

:)

K

My Pearl has heart disease. While caring for her they noticed her heart rate was higher than it should be (especially for a greyhound!). So she is also on digoxin.

She also has hypertension.

It took a trip to the cardiologist to confirm all this.

However, it was a heart murmur that had our vet recommend the cardiologist.

Hope it's nothing..........