Ember Not Eating

Guest EmbersDad

No flamers here. Just concerned for you and Ms. Ember. Just keep her on 2 pills every six for 3 days, then do 1 pill every 4-6 for several days and then 1 pill 1x a day for several days. We did each segment for 4 days each. The weaning is important.

She'll be fine and we are all here. You have my #- call if you need or want to.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmbersDad
No flamers here. Just concerned for you and Ms. Ember. Just keep her on 2 pills every six for 3 days, then do 1 pill every 4-6 for several days and then 1 pill 1x a day for several days. We did each segment for 4 days each. The weaning is important.

She'll be fine and we are all here. You have my #- call if you need or want to.

100mg? or 50? 1 pill =50mg

Yes- we have 50mg tramadol.

So, I was saying to give her 100mg every six hours for 3 days, then do 1 pill every 4-6 for several days and then 1 pill 1x a day for several days yada yada yada.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

ok, so she had one around 530..im gonna do another now, and then around 2 am

yes, IF she is up, give it to her @ 2 AM. if she is comfortably sleeping, I'd let it go, but do try to keep it as 2 pills every 6 at least for the next couple of days. I think she will be more comfotable.

Guest SoulsMom

Goodness, if anyone wanted to flame you right now then they are cold, cold hearted. It is quite obvious how much you love your girl and how you only want what is best for her. Hoping for a better night . . . :grouphug

Guest greytmonty
Goodness, if anyone wanted to flame you right now then they are cold, cold hearted. It is quite obvious how much you love your girl and how you only want what is best for her. Hoping for a better night . . . :grouphug

Ditto ditto ditto.

You love your dog. None of us are experts in what our dogs go through until AFTER they go through it!!!!

. None of us are experts in what our dogs go through until AFTER they go through it!!!!

Yup.

I too wanted to decrease the meds early on. I ran it by my vet and she explained why it was not a good idea even if it appreared that Polli was pain free.

Then, just last Thursday I wanted to stop the Deramaxx as it had been 2 weeks but she said, keep her on for ANOTHER 10 days - 2 weeks as now is when Polli is going to start moving more which is what we want. She in turn will start hurting more. If she hurts, she will not want to do it so the cycle continues.

I'm just passing on what my vet said and what worked for us!

Hope you all have a peaceful night. Lord knows I haven't had one in over 2 weeks!!!! ;)

Guest vahoundlover

I hope nobody is flaming you! If you still have problems with Ember not eating, try boiled hamburger, green tripe or some canned food. Burpdog likes rotisserie chicken....

Keeping you guys in our prayers.

Tom - i can overnight tripe if tomorrow she doesn't eat. As long as she is eating... you'll be OK. Let me know and I will bring it to work, just in case.

Guest EmbersDad
ok, so she had one around 530..im gonna do another now, and then around 2 am

yes, IF she is up, give it to her @ 2 AM. if she is comfortably sleeping, I'd let it go, but do try to keep it as 2 pills every 6 at least for the next couple of days. I think she will be more comfotable.

she seems comfortable right now, im not even gonna get her up to go out, so we will most likely be getting up later.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Interpreting the signs of discomfort is something we have to learn. I often wish the pups could just tell me what was wrong.

Hugs to you and Ember. :grouphug It sounds like you've gotten lots of good advice from knowledgeable people though.

Guest longdogs
i gave her a tramadol when i got home. i mixed some tuna fish in with her kibble and she ate about 2/3 of it. the tramadol went in peanut butter and disappeared. i will give her another dose before bed.

im also curious if she can now feel the weather changes more. its gonna rain wicked hard tonite and i wonder if she can sense the pressure change more.

i think i am to blame for the pain meds fiasco. the instructions said "as needed" and i didnt want to overdo it with the fentanyl patch on. now that i know how to interpret the signs, i know better. this is all new to me as well. im sure the flamers are smiling right now.

You have to remember different pain-killing drugs have different modes of action and are now generally given as cocktails. The Tramadol complements the Fentanyl, it doesn't just add to it. You won't overdo the medication if you are following the vet's instructions and you should back off the drugs in careful steps and in a coordinated way, after all there is no benefit in hurrying. Pain-killing drugs work best when there is no pain, i.e. it is much more effective, and requires lower drug doses, to prevent pain and maintain a pain-free state than it is to remove pain once it starts.

Guest EmbersDad

ember is doing much better today. we had a restful night. she was up around 230 and i knew she needed a potty break as i didnt have the heart to wake her at 11 after i was done yelling at my teevee set. she took another 100mg then and then another 100 mg this morning around 830. she did actually eat about 3/4 of her breakfast which was impressive considering that there were contractors coming in to work.....yes...im almost thru a bathroom remodel that was started before she got sick. there is a tile guy and a painter here today doing their thing. she was wagging her tail and greeted them at the door this morning. i spoke with my regular vet today, and she approved of the higher dose for a few days. the stitches are due to come out thursday, and im inclined to keep her at the 100mg dose till at least then. dr sauder would like me to see if i can increase the interval from 6 hrs to more like 8-12 so we shall see. if she is comfortable still at 230, i will try and see if i can make it to dinner around 6. if not, maybe i will split the difference timewise, but i guess it all depends on ember.

thank you everyone for the greyt advice and your concern over my baby. living alone, its reassuring to know ember has people in her corner :grouphug

If anyone flames you, it better be because their hugs are over heated. This is not the time for I told you so's. That's what that report button is for & Trudy will get em. This is one category that better NOT have any flames.

You're doing the best you can, and it sounds like she's coming around. Don't be surprised if her skin near her scars is numb, my skin where I had my implants is still numb.

I tell ya, Tripe may stink to high heaven, but it works wonders. Batmom sent me some last year when Dear wouldn't eat due to cancer, and he dug right in...I mixed just small portions in with his food & ice cream & it worked wonders.

You're still in my prayers. :beatheart

If anyone flames you, it better be because their hugs are over heated. This is not the time for I told you so's. That's what that report button is for & Trudy will get em. This is one category that better NOT have any flames.

You're doing the best you can, and it sounds like she's coming around. Don't be surprised if her skin near her scars is numb, my skin where I had my implants is still numb.

I tell ya, Tripe may stink to high heaven, but it works wonders. Batmom sent me some last year when Dear wouldn't eat due to cancer, and he dug right in...I mixed just small portions in with his food & ice cream & it worked wonders.

You're still in my prayers. :beatheart

Amen! Sending hugs and kissies for your sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest IrskasMom

There is NO Flaming , for what ?? You have very experienced Help here for good Advice . We learn out of Experience, so how

could you know . You are doing darn well . Loads of Hugs for Ember and you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I was just thinking about her, and am glad to see she is doing better today.

Keep up the good work---both of you. And come here any time you need to, with questions, concerns and good news too!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown