Ember Not Eating

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

Ember is off her food today. she didnt want breakfast yesterday, but did eat about 3/4 of a cup last night. showed no interest in breakfast today either. she has been waking up in the middle of the night these last few days and just panting. sometimes she will just pant for no reason. she doesnt feel warm in her ears, her nose is still cold. i took her out in the middle of the night last night after a panting episode. she did her business and came back in and eventually settled down and went to sleep. im thinking that the pain drugs are finally out of her system and she is realizing that something is different, or maybe is experiencing phantom pain. anyone have any thoughts?

Guest EmilyAnne

I don't have experience with osteo, but I do have a dog with a very sensitive tummy, and he does best on well chopped (in food processor) lean stew meat. Perhaps try that?

I will be praying for Ember, and for her appetite to improve. :grouphug

I think she needs to still be on her pain meds. The more she does, especially now, the more she will feel. I still have Polli on 50 mg of deramaxx and one Tramadol a day.

I am still weaning Polli off the meds as opiates are a nasty thing to be on and off but work wonders. Today was the last tramdol and tomorrow will be the last deramaxx but we will be on day 19.

Try 50mg of tramadol every 4-6 hours for a day or 3 to see how it goes.

FYI- Polli only eats one meal a day- total about 1 - 1 1/4 cup with shredded chicken breast (boiled) to maintain 60 pounds.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Redpack

I think Robin is right. Didn't go through the amputation, but I know when Diplomat was in pain from his cancer, he panted and tramadol helped. He would only eat from my hand as he got worse, but I'm sure you've already tried that. Sending hugs and wishes for better days ahead to you and Ember.

Guest EmbersDad

hmmm...i will dose her tonite when i get home. her guardian angel may give her a pill today, i will have to ask. i do have a can of tuna fish and will use some as my "seekrit weapon" to get her to (hopefully) eat. thanx for the advice.

i just realized that friday will be 2 weeks. i guess i need to call the surgery center to schedule her stitch removal. we still havent got the pathology report back yet and it irks me to no end. i cant schedule chemo until we get that frakken report.

but on the upside...i see peach fuzz.....:lol:lol:lol

Edited by EmbersDad

I also agree with Robin about the pain meds.As for the eating, if different foods don't do the trick, consider trying the Nutritional Yeast. We're keeping your girl in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I think she needs to still be on her pain meds. The more she does, especially now, the more she will feel. I still have Polli on 50 mg of deramaxx and one Tramadol a day.

I am still weaning Polli off the meds as opiates are a nasty thing to be on and off but work wonders. Today was the last tramdol and tomorrow will be the last deramaxx but we will be on day 19.

Try 50mg of tramadol every 4-6 hours for a day or 3 to see how it goes.

FYI- Polli only eats one meal a day- total about 1 - 1 1/4 cup with shredded chicken breast (boiled) to maintain 60 pounds.

I think Robin is right too. I think I'd talk to my vet about it. It could be the nerves are coming back to life & that causes pain also. I'm talking from my own experience with knee replacement...I don't have any pups with amps, other than toes & an ear, but they're bound to be experiencing some sort of pain after something this traumatic. I will certainly push Ember to the top of my prayer list.

TRIPE

Agree with the need for continued pain meds. Kisses to Ember. Hope her appetite picks up soon.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Keeping Ember on the top of the prayer list. Hope the pain meds work! Here's hoping she gets "the munchies" when the meds kick in!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am sorry I have no experience but want to send prayers that she starts eating and that you get the report back real soon. :grouphug:hope :hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Trying other foods that she does not associate meds and pain with may also help - Vinnie caught on pretty quick that we used meat to hide the pills in so sometimes he would just stick his nose in the air and not eat. Chicken livers usually worked to get him started and then he would eat - or eggs and waffles. And we now use braunshwager (sp) or liverwurst to put the pills in - moldable and soft to form around the pill and the smell hides the med smell :lol . We also broke up his meals into a few smaller meals throughout the day. Keeping you in our thoughts and hoping she gets her appetite back.

Guest EmbersDad
Trying other foods that she does not associate meds and pain with may also help - Vinnie caught on pretty quick that we used meat to hide the pills in so sometimes he would just stick his nose in the air and not eat. Chicken livers usually worked to get him started and then he would eat - or eggs and waffles. And we now use braunshwager (sp) or liverwurst to put the pills in - moldable and soft to form around the pill and the smell hides the med smell :lol . We also broke up his meals into a few smaller meals throughout the day. Keeping you in our thoughts and hoping she gets her appetite back.

still no problem using the peanut butter gimmick here to hide meds in :colgate

oh yeah...I WANNA HUG MY DOG!!!!!!! i can't wait for those stitches to be out so i can hug her. i have been touching and massaging the area around the stitches, and so far, she has had no reaction to it, so im hoping she will let me touch and pet her there once they are out.

Edited by EmbersDad

Peach fuzz........that's greyt :yay

Give her a hug from us on Thursday after vet visit! Eat up your food Ember there's a good girl...

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest ArtysPeople

I've read that panting can be an expression of pain, so as others have said, I'd reconsider being off the meds. But peach fuzz! That's got to be exciting. Virtual hugs to you both, and I hope you can hug her for real again soon. :grouphug

Guest longdogs

I'm also with RobinM. These are fairly classic symptoms of pain and I'm surprised her medication was backed-off so quickly. I think she still needs it.

I agree with pain meds also. Cody has been on Tramadol and Rimadyl for his back daily for longer than I'm comfortable with but if I try weaning him off, he immediantly starts panting and losing control of his back legs, so I know he needs them.

I'm surprised Ember was not put on pan meds for a longer period also. I've not had your experience with the surgery either.

Good luck and sending prayers to Ember.

I was so impressed with the videos of her walking so soon, what a brave girl.

Terry

Guest IrskasMom

I also agree with Robin . Also if PB does not work anymore try Liverwurst. It works all the time . I also read from Jillys Full

House when her Emmy was so bad and had no Appetite to try low Sodium/Saltfree Chicken Noodle Soup . I would try to

mix it in with Kibbles . Also mine likes from VitaLIfe this dehydrated ChickenTenders ,Low in Fat ,High in Protein. See if

she likes them.

Guest EmbersDad

i gave her a tramadol when i got home. i mixed some tuna fish in with her kibble and she ate about 2/3 of it. the tramadol went in peanut butter and disappeared. i will give her another dose before bed.

im also curious if she can now feel the weather changes more. its gonna rain wicked hard tonite and i wonder if she can sense the pressure change more.

i think i am to blame for the pain meds fiasco. the instructions said "as needed" and i didnt want to overdo it with the fentanyl patch on. now that i know how to interpret the signs, i know better. this is all new to me as well. im sure the flamers are smiling right now.