Rudy Has Infected Looking Spot On His Neck

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

post-2911-1225044956_thumb.jpg

post-2911-1225044926_thumb.jpg

We just had him at the vet yesterday for his initial workup with our vet. She didn't notice this, nor did I, so I wonder if it just came up today.

He has been scratching, and is bald on his neck and chest, so she told me to look out for skin irritation.

The sore in question looks very pus-filled. Of course it's Sunday. He got a clean bill of health yesterday. What could this be? Can I apply Neosporin?

Edited by argolola

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'd wash it with a gentle solution of watered down antibacterial soap or something but not put anything on it.

I think it's certainly not an emergency and would call the vet tomorrow.

It looks just like the green blisters Shanti got with a staph infection. YES, apply neosporin. You may need a hefty dose of antibiotics. Shanti was on Baytril for a long time.

Have it looked at tomorrow. If you don't get to it quickly it will spread and get nasty. Remember Shanti's tail issue? Staph.

You can also bathe him in Selsun Blu and let it sit for 15 minutes. It is like the chlorohexiderm shampoo but easily available at the store. But they have to soak in it.

Lene' here is a picture of Shanti's. Hers was on her belly, thighs and tail. You can see the green blisters of goo.

DSC01116.jpg

The Girls

Guest argolola

new pic-it looks painful

Thanks everyone. I will call the vet in the morning. How could this happen???

I just got back from Petco and bought him some allergy food (Natural Balance.)

Can this spread to Lola, or us?

p.s. see how bald he is?

Edited by argolola

I agree, not likely to spread. No one else got it in our house. Use gloves if you have them when you clean it. But it is PAINFUL! I got bit 2x trying to clean it. Be careful. Muzzle to be safe. Shanti's came out after immune suppression on Imuran for IMPA. We have had a couple rounds of it. I now bathe her every week in special shampoo and I have not had it come back for a month.

I will find you the link for the Shampoo. Lucy, Rileysmomma, got me on it. Riley gets it too.

Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...BK/ref=dp_olp_2

I ordered it from Cattyvet. $10.60 plus shipping. It took a couple weeks, so you may want to do the Selsun Blu first.

The Girls

Guest argolola

I just washed it and put on Neosporin and he didn't even flinch. He was such a good boy. Thanks so much. We are freaking out and Lysoling everything.

Thank you everyone! Do I need to take off work tomorrow or can it wait until 5:00?

p.s. why does he keep scratching?

Edited by argolola

It can wait. If it's just one small spot, likely to be just a minor skin thingy and not freakout material. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola
It can wait. If it's just one small spot, likely to be just a minor skin thingy and not freakout material. :)

lol...thanks. I've already called the e-vet and she agreed with you. I don't know why I am freaking out over him. It was different with Lola. Lola seems so tough and he seems fragile. Go figure.

I am sorry I don't know what it could be, but we are sending prayers that it is nothing to worry about.... :bighug:bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Not worth a evet trip! Neosporin is good for it. When Shanti's was cultured that was one of the things it responded to. Glad he let you clean it with no issues. Keep an eye out for more. With his baldness, they should be easier to see. :P

This is a easy fix thing. A round of antibiotics and some monitoring for a return for a bit. Not something to panic or worry about. Just watchful. Shanti gets inspected daily for those.

The Girls

I tend to freak too, when I don't know what something is. But if you watch it for a few days and it gets worse, you can go on to the vet. Chances are it won't, tho. Fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Chase has had staph, too. He was a very stressed boy when he came to live with us. He didn't have the green goo. He just had dime sized patches that would crust up and then his hair would come out.

I never had to use the chlorihexiderm shampoo... we used Oxydex made by the came company.

No, you own't get it and neither will Lola.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Any chance you recently cut his toe nails?

If he's itching on his neck area and his toe nails were just recently cut then it could just be a small scratch from a rough toe nail.

I would Neosporin and keep it clean.

As far as why does he have a bald neck. Could be his collar at the kennel rubbed it often or if he is wearing a martingale at home could be rubbing it.

Why is he itching, could be dry skin. My Pooh girl has been itching a fair amount. I've just started adding in some fish oil caps to her food and the itching is slowing down :)

Guest argolola

A new pic from this morning. I can't tell if it looks better or not.

Yes, his nails were cut on Saturday when he went to the vet! Thank you. He has been scratching his neck like mad.

Edited by argolola

Since there is only one, I would be tempted to clean and neosporin it a couple times a day and ride it out another few days. If he gets more, take him in. The neosporin just might do the trick. Especially since he just got his nails trimmed and has been scratching. If it is systemic, you will see more in a few days. That would require some antibiotics.

The Girls

Guest argolola

The vet looked at the pictures electronically and gave him a prescription for Cefpodoxime. She felt that it's staph and he also has skin issues. We will try the meds for 10 days. Thanks so much.

Guest argolola

Thanks, Jenny. What did you use to clean Shanti's sores before applying Neosporin?

Also, can I still use the Chlorhexiderm shampoo on him if he has skin allergies?

I used a blue solution that my friend the vet tech brought me. It is in a unlabled bottle. I believe it is chlorhexiderm solution. I just watered it down a bit.

I can find out on the shampoo. I would think it is good. I believe that stuff is non-allergenic, but could be wrong. I will find out for you.

The Girls

Guest argolola

Thank you so much! Everyone else too!

p.s. we just cleaned it and put on Neosporin. He just stood there while I was able to remove the "crud." He doesn't seem to be in pain. There is pink skin underneath!

Edited by argolola

Sounds like you are handling it and him well Lene. You should be fine bathing it with salt water. Just use a fresh piece of paper towel or cotton each time you dip it in the water. Warm salt water, or epsom salt and water are the best thing for soaking when there is an infection. I would soak it by using a wet compress for a few minutes a couple of times a day befor using the Neosporin.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.