Evidence Of Seizure?

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

My husband and I work long days away from home. 8-10 hours. Our greyhound Timber is adjusted to this schedule and has never destroyed anything and almost never ever has accidents (unless we really push it to like 12 hours.... which is very rare!).

Our new foster grey, Picasso, has had a couple of seizures, and aside from that, he likes to get our shoes and take them to bed with him. He's also one to follow us around when we're home. He's a little more needy than Timber.

Now today I got home and he'd chewed on a corner of our coffee table and chewed up a book -- make that shredded a book-- and chewed on a lotion bottle :( I also think one of them tinkled on the wood floor by the front door, and I'm pretty sure it was him.

Could misbehavior like this be a sign that he seized and freaked out while I was at work, or do you think it's more likely just separation anxiety?

On that note, and more importantly to me, what might I look for as evidence that he had a seizure while I was away?

Thank you,

Lynne

Sounds like classic separation anxiety symptoms to me. It seems bad to you, but I've heard of much worse destruction after a day alone!

My seizure girl actually never destroyed or broke anything during her seizures. I guess she could have hit some things and knocked them off during collapsing or thrashing, but I never had that happen.

You don't say how long you've had him or how new he is off the track, but it's possible he can't hold it for the entire time you're gone. You may need to try and figure out how to let him out at lunchtime (or have someone let him out). Crating might be something to consider as well.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

One thing I might suggest if you have 2 hounds and one is a seizure hound is be EXTREMELY careful with leaving all uncrated or together while away.

I had a GSD who was a seizure dog and came home to a blood bath. My grey nearly tore Willow's throat out while I was away for 4 short hours.

Hopefully Judy will pop in with a bit more advise but I'll share my info even though it is not totally grey related.

When Willow seized there was no mistaking what happened. For 1) there was an extremely strong odor (grand maul seizures) where she lost total control of bowels and bladder 2) she always would soil her self and have large amounts of dried saliva around her mouth. 3) She would act more "needy" than normal.

It really sounds like you're dealing more of a SA issue than a seizure issue. Most seizure dogs are more out of place and less likely to be destructive.

My husband and I work long days away from home. 8-10 hours. Our greyhound Timber is adjusted to this schedule and has never destroyed anything and almost never ever has accidents (unless we really push it to like 12 hours.... which is very rare!).

Our new foster grey, Picasso, has had a couple of seizures, and aside from that, he likes to get our shoes and take them to bed with him. He's also one to follow us around when we're home. He's a little more needy than Timber.

Now today I got home and he'd chewed on a corner of our coffee table and chewed up a book -- make that shredded a book-- and chewed on a lotion bottle :( I also think one of them tinkled on the wood floor by the front door, and I'm pretty sure it was him.

Could misbehavior like this be a sign that he seized and freaked out while I was at work, or do you think it's more likely just separation anxiety?

On that note, and more importantly to me, what might I look for as evidence that he had a seizure while I was away?

Thank you,

Lynne

Hi - it does sound like separation anxiety - especially the urine near the front door - Hippie destroyed my hall carpet when we first left her - we had to get an indoor kennel which she loves - 8 months later - she's asleep in it now with the door open - its her playpen!! She still chews bottles and shoes if she's in the mood but she is so much better at being left now

I have to agree with the SA theory. Evidence of seizures would be a loss of bowels or bladder, dried saliva around the mouth which you can feel in the fur. Most seizure dogs don't come out of it and destroy things, they're totally confused though and may stumble around and bump into things so you may find the furniture moved or something along those lines.

I have to agree with Heather, be very careful with a seizure dog. My pack went after Saint twice when he seized and I never leave him out of his crate when we're away from home. Luckily I was present both times the pack went after him and stopped him or they may have killed him.

Another thing, if this is SA, the stress of being separated alone can bring on those seizures. Stress is a good precursor to seizures and to be honest, it sounds like this pup might be better off in a foster home that has someone home most of the time. You can start the pup on seizure medications that will help bring the seizures under control but if he has SA the stress will still be there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Please never leave a seizure dog out with other dogs when you're not there to supervise. Judy is right, the foster could be attacked and injured or killed during a seizure.

Also lots and lots of exercise is helpful when dealing with SA. A tired dog is a good dog! It sounds like your foster was bored and found things to entertain himself. He doesn't know he's doing anything wrong and was just finding ways to fix his boredom. True SA usually manifests itself within seconds or minutes of being left alone.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

One thing I might suggest if you have 2 hounds and one is a seizure hound is be EXTREMELY careful with leaving all uncrated or together while away.

I had a GSD who was a seizure dog and came home to a blood bath. My grey nearly tore Willow's throat out while I was away for 4 short hours.

Hopefully Judy will pop in with a bit more advise but I'll share my info even though it is not totally grey related.

When Willow seized there was no mistaking what happened. For 1) there was an extremely strong odor (grand maul seizures) where she lost total control of bowels and bladder 2) she always would soil her self and have large amounts of dried saliva around her mouth. 3) She would act more "needy" than normal.

It really sounds like you're dealing more of a SA issue than a seizure issue. Most seizure dogs are more out of place and less likely to be destructive.

Everything Judy & Heather said. :hehe

I didn't read the other post when I responded.... :lol

Edited by Pipi5