Question About Noses

Guest BradyzMommy

Guest BradyzMommy

Dexter seems to be losing the black color on parts of his nose. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Thanks!

Edited by BradyzMommy

There is a medical condition that causes this, unfortunately I can't remember its name. I know someone else here will know though.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Pemphigus. But loss of colour isn't always that. Some people have said it can be due to feeding them with plastic bowls, but I don't know about that. If the nose looked healthy apart from the colour, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's flaking, or losing it's 'grainy' appearance and going smooth, then let your vet take a look next time you're there. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest tricolorhounds
There is a medical condition that causes this, unfortunately I can't remember its name. I know someone else here will know though.

I think that would be Lupus.... However, my shepherd randomly loses black spots from her nose and then it comes back... I think it's just trauma for lack of a better word... bumping into things, playing to roughly, playing bitey face etc

Guest BradyzMommy

we use stainless steel bowls, not plastic. and his nose looks fine other than the white spot on it. we will keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger or changes texture, we will take him in to have it looked at.

Dude does this sometimes - he has a black nose but every once in a while a white spot, or a couple small white/lighter spots appear, then a couple days later they're gone. I sort of treat them like freckles or moles - if it ever looked like the nose itself was affected I'd take him to the vet. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Grapehound

Raisin's nose was losing its color a few weeks ago... but after we stopped using the new plastic bowl, it's mostly gone back to normal. I read somewhere it could happen with season change, although more so from cold to hot. I would watch it, unless it seems swollen, irritated or starts bleeding, then I'd get it checked out.