Strange Nighttime Behavior

This sounds like seizure activity to me. Seizures can appear in many different forms (from mild like this to quite severe) and sporadically (yes, it can be dormant for years and then a random seizure re-occurs). I would take note of when it happens and mark it on the calendar along with any other relevant information (like unique treats given, meds, etc....see if there is a link).

:nod Sounds almost exactly like what we experienced with Ace (except I didn't walk her, I just let her out in the fenced yard)...she'd wander around and pee/poop and then she'd sniff her way around the yard, as if she couldn't find her way back to the door. She ran into the deck a couple of times!

We estimated she was maybe having petit mal seizures and her whining/pacing/etc. was the post-ictal phase, where they're confused and disoriented. Turned out her thyroid was a bit low, and she needed her neck adjusted as well (both of those things can cause small seizures). No more of these episodes since starting her meds and I get her adjusted regularly. When they were happening, we'd have one or two nights in a row, then we'd go a week or so and it'd happen again. It was always the same time of night too...like within 5 minutes of the previous night's episode.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest EmilyAnne

I think post-ictal depends upon the severity of the seizure. So for Petit-Mals, there should be extremely little to no post-ictal. A seizure severe enough to warrant post-ictal, should no doubt wake an owner in the same room even out of a solid sleep.

Just a thought - since you feed raw, I would also keep track of what she ate before the episode. You mentioned that she had a lamb neck. My whippet cannot eat lamb because it is a fattier or richer meat and causes all types of GI problems with him. When I feed it to the greys now, I remove as much of the fat as I can. I was told that pancreatitis can be caused by uncooked fat, too.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Well we haven't had another incident since Sunday night's. I'm inclined to think it's still related to an upset stomach, but given all the posts here, I'm keeping seizures and other possibilities in the back of my mind. If it happens again, we'll see our vet and/or the neurologist. I'm feeling a little bit better about dropping her off tonight, but I'm going to ask the person who's watching her to keep her in the bedroom with her at night with her tag collar on so she wakes up if anything happens.

Thanks for all of the input!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 6 years later...