Giving Immodium Rectally

Three of my 4 dogs have had diarrhea. Seems to last 2-3 days. As one gets over it the next one gets it.

Thane's over it, Pudge is much better but now it's Gracie's turn. Wally hasn't had any problems at either end.

When I took Pudge's stool sample to the vet yesterday I could have sworn he said that you can give Immodium rectally to a dog if there is 1. no fever, 2. no suspected blockage, and 3. if they can't keep anything by mouth down.

Gracie has now stopped vomiting and I think she had a Pepcid in her long enough to dissolve.

There can't be much if any food left in her to pass through.

So, do I or don't I try to give her an Immodium rectally?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest monasmom

Hi Ducky! I have to admit I only opened this thread because it was started by you. The title was really :puke

I'm sorry to hear you have a bug running (sorry!) through your hounds. I don't know the answer to the Immodium question except to say I would probably listen to what the vet said.

Good luck and I hope everyone gets better quickly!

Laura

p.s. Maybe it's bad karma because you rejected that raffle prize. :P

I've held off on the Immodium. No vomiting in the past 3 hours. Hopefully that means she was able to absorb some or all of the Pepcid before that last upchuck. Since there can't be much of anything left inside her belly and there's no gurgling I'll see how she does tonight before giving any meds.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If a dog has diarrhea and can't keep anything by mouth down, then you have a dog that should be hospitalized. It's far beyond the scope of Immodium.

If the dog is not at the vet, keep a VERY, VERY, VERY close watch on her temperature. If there is a fever, you need to go to the evet immediately. Such a dog can go from a normal temp to completely down/collapsed/unconscious in a matter of hours.

Diarrhea only isn't a huge concern. You can still feed and water through it.

Vomiting only... no biggie... monitor temp, but withhold feed and only give small sips of water. If you know what caused it, then it's no biggie. If her temp gets elevated or the dog is shocky, then head to the vet.

Vomiting AND diarrhea is a big deal in a dog. Your main vet should be involved and it can easily turn into an evet trip. It can become life threatening very quickly, so make sure your vet educates you on what to look for.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Guest greytmonty

As you know Monty has this bug too. he had to be hospitalized at the vet for the day yesterday as he was so dehydrated from his diarrhea and vomiting. Keep an eye on them!

I don't know about rectal immodium, sorry.

If a dog has diarrhea and can't keep anything by mouth down, then you have a dog that should be hospitalized. It's far beyond the scope of Immodium.

If the dog is not at the vet, keep a VERY, VERY, VERY close watch on her temperature. If there is a fever, you need to go to the evet immediately. Such a dog can go from a normal temp to completely down/collapsed/unconscious in a matter of hours.

Diarrhea only isn't a huge concern. You can still feed and water through it.

Vomiting only... no biggie... monitor temp, but withhold feed and only give small sips of water. If you know what caused it, then it's no biggie. If her temp gets elevated or the dog is shocky, then head to the vet.

Vomiting AND diarrhea is a big deal in a dog. Your main vet should be involved and it can easily turn into an evet trip. It can become life threatening very quickly, so make sure your vet educates you on what to look for.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn.

So far so good. No diarrhea in the past 6 hours - and that's without any Immodium. No vomiting in the past 5 hours. She's had a bit of water and has not wanted any food. Temperature is 100.6

Gracie tends to be more delicate than my other dogs and we'll keep a sharp eye out.

Editing to add: Gracie drank a bit of water, went out and peed, tried to poop but only had some droplets, came back in and had a little bit of broth and a little bit more water. She's been able to keep it down. Please let her be over the worst of this.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

:goodluck:goodluck Hopefully she's over the worst. What Lynne said makes tons of sense.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Well the worst came later in the night.

Gracie looked a wee bit better when we went to bed but by 3am was vomiting up the little bit of water she'd had earlier and some bile.

The e-vet gave her a shot of Cerenia, did lab work (normal except indicating dehydration), temp was normal, gums were sticky and a bright pink. She got an IV bag of fluids dripped in.

We were to fast her today except for a small amount of water. She didn't want any. The IV catheter had been left in and our regular vet this afternoon gave her another bag of fluid. She's had a few sips of water this evening. Vet said to try a few spoons of the ID food but didn't she want any. We'll get her checked again tomorrow. She definitely looks better than she did 24 hours ago.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest guinness_the_greyt

I give childrens immodium by mouth. Memph and Brook will sip it down. Guinn I have to use a babydropper and shoot it to the back of his throat and lift his head up. I think childrens immodium is much less harsh on the system.

GOOD LUCK!

Guest greytmonty
Well the worst came later in the night.

Gracie looked a wee bit better when we went to bed but by 3am was vomiting up the little bit of water she'd had earlier and some bile.

The e-vet gave her a shot of Cerenia, did lab work (normal except indicating dehydration), temp was normal, gums were sticky and a bright pink. She got an IV bag of fluids dripped in.

We were to fast her today except for a small amount of water. She didn't want any. The IV catheter had been left in and our regular vet this afternoon gave her another bag of fluid. She's had a few sips of water this evening. Vet said to try a few spoons of the ID food but didn't she want any. We'll get her checked again tomorrow. She definitely looks better than she did 24 hours ago.

OY I feel your pain. It is the worst, middle of the night D and puke. I hope she continues to get better.

our vet had me fast Monty 36 hours for food and 12 hours for water (after a lot of IV fluids) just to quiet his tummy. After Anzamet and Pepcid she started him on Flagyl which seems to have slowed the D.

Take it slow. As long as her cath is good, there's no reason to rush it. I'm glad she's on the mend. As a veteran of many rounds of this sort of bug, I feel your pain.

Lynn

PS... if you don't have a steam cleaner, the Rug Doctor machines that you can rent work really, really well for afterwards :)

Gracie had a good night. She is a little bit peppier this morning. She had a small breakfast and has kept it down. Whew!

Now that Thane, Pudge, Gracie are over this I hope Wally doesn't get it next. :goodluck

tiny hada siggy.png