Is It Okay To Eat Lying Down?

Guest JsMom

My dog has a huge bandage on his foot, which of course means he can't walk or stand AT ALL (unless he really needs to go outside -- what a drama king!). When I put his food out, he wouldn't touch it, but ate if I put the bowl under his head where he was lying down. Can this cause bloat?

My Polli has never (since I have her) ever eaten standing up. I'm not crazy about it but since it's the only ways she will eat, that's the way it is. No bowls either here! only on a towel.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest HersheysMom

Sonie ate lying down in her crate at her foster home, and does for most of her meals here as well - no problems!

Hope the foot heals quickly.

Guest Greensleeves

Oh, my gosh--I'm glad I never worried about that! :lol My guys have been eating lying down every day for over seven years (we hand-feed them, and they lounge in a nice big circle around--and sometimes on--the sofa while I toss kibble to them)... can't imagine what we'd do if that was a problem! :D

Given the circumstances, I'd be happy he's eating. Personally, when Patrick's hurt if he's eating, I'll take it.

We hear a lot about bloat, and it is really scary, but it seems to be relatively uncommon in actuality. Good to be careful, but try not to worry too much either.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Try not to worry too much! Good one. ;-)

Actually, it didn't even occur to me that it could be an issue til he started eating while he was lying on side, kind of curled up. The sounds that came out of him were AWFUL as the food went "down." It just sounded like a whole lot of extra effort in there, so I started to wonder... Glad it's nothing to worry about.