Chest Xray Needed Before Surgery

Guest SusanP

Zippy's scheduled for surgery to remove a suspected mast cell tumor on Thursday morning. Now the vet has left me a phone message that she wants to do a chest xray before surgery. I don't understand the point of this, and I don't want to ask her first. I know blood testing, urinalysis, stool cultures, abdominal ultrasound and xrays and checking lymphnodes are sometimes suggested--but none of that has been mentioned. Why would I want a chest xray before surgery?

But why? To see if it's spread? If that's the case, wouldn't an abdominal xray be more useful?

They didn't do a chest xray when she had a different kind of (cancerous) tumor removed a year ago. Why this time?

(Ok, ok, I confess I am suspicious any time this office finds more ways to charge me--this is where I got the $41 bandage last week...)

So if they find it has spread to the lungs, there is no point in doing surgery because it's too late?

But with this type of tumor, aren't there other things they would check first before lungs?

Edited by SusanP

My take on it: once it goes to the lungs, I don't believe there is anything else that can be done. If the lungs are clear at this point, he/she has a good chance no matter what kind of surgery we are talking about.

Yup. When we were trying to figure out what to do with our cancer kitty, the vet x-rayed the lungs first-off. His cancer was fibrosarcoma which can mestastsize to the lungs, but is less likely to do so than osteosarcoma, but we had to be sure so we could know what our options were.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I've been away from the forum for awhile due to a move so forgive the stupid questions:

How old is your dog? Where is the MCT and how big is it? Is the tumor one of many or just one or two isolated bumps? Is this the first suspected MCT or has she had previous surgeries for the same thing?

The reasons why I ask are:

My retriever mix, Buttercup, had lots of bumps when I rescued her from the pound. The vet removed two of the lumps for the biopsy. The pathology report came back as MCTs grade II. We couldn't remove all of the tumors because she would look like a patchwork quilt. We couldn't do radiation once again for the sheer number of bumps. We opted to treat her with prednisone. Over the next 3 1/2 years Butter had several surgeries to remove the tumors that were the biggest or most bothersome. Only once did we ask for a chest x-ray. That was last year as she was about to have 3 tumors removed from one of her hind legs. Had the chest x-ray showed something we would not have proceeded with the surgery. But, by that time she had already undergone several surgeries to remove the tumors.

eta: Eventually the cancer moved to her liver before her lungs so the chest x-ray wouldn't have shown anything. Butter also developed a large abdominal mass which may or may not have been MCT. We lost her two weeks before we left California in September. We rescued her from the pound 3 1/2 years prior so as the doctor reminded us we gave her 3 1/2 happy years she wouldn't have had before we found her.

Edited by benson

Zippy is 10 and the mass is on her front leg, below the elbow. It is a single tumor the size of half a small walnut maybe, and the vet saw round cells in the aspirate they checked. We don't know for a fact it's cancer, because they messed up the sample they sent to the lab, and I opted not to wait longer, given the odds. Vet feels it's likely a mast cell tumor, but we don't know yet what grade.

She is showing no other symptoms, no bloody stools that we know of, no vomiting, etc...She seems fine and frisky.

She had a cancerous tumor removed from her groin a year ago, but that was a different type--cartilage tumor growing on muscle.

Edited by SusanP

I think any time cancer is involved, they like to do a chest xray. I would.

My vet always does a chest xray before any surgery where cancer is suspected, even toes. When my greyhound had to have a toe removed, he did a chest xray & took lymph glands out of the same leg to be on the safe side. If she was mine, I'd have the xrays done.

Edited by Pipi5

Foxy did not have an x-ray before the surgery. Many things suggest it is a similar type of tumor, and they have a very low rate of metastisizing. We did blood tests prior but nothing else.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

They perform pre-surgical radiographs for 2 reasons--one to make sure the lungs are clear of mets (usually 3 views are needed for that) and second to make sure the heart and lungs look healthy. I personally would not proceed w/o the rads. If you really want to play by the book an abdominal ultrasound would be beneficial. Also, the mass doesn't sound like a MCT to me. Most DVM's are pretty comfortable identifying MCT from an aspirate---round cells found on legs could be a hemangiopericytoma. Both of those tumors need wide excisions which are tough to get on legs. I would expect a large incision site but, don't worry the big ones heal just as fast as the large ones---wounds heal side to side not from end to end. Best of luck--keep us informed!!