Jack Has Worms

Well nothing like all the ills that everyone has been posting these days, so I guess that is one thing to be grateful for. My DW has taken him to the e-vet as we called them to discuss and of course our regular vet is closed Saturdays :angry:. We don't like to take up time at the e-vet for 'minor' issues but because it's a long weekend, well that made the decision for us. . We aren't sure the kind of worm yet but we brought a sample (a bag full :P ). Now at least we know why he's so skinny!

You can see the number of ribs showing on him in this picture:

DSC_0240-1.jpg

As I said, this is minor to many that are going through much rougher times with their Greys. We'll hope that this will finally get us to put some weight on the poor boy.

UPDATE: It's tapeworm....he got a shot of something (DW is driving back and then I'll know) and he screamed when they gave him the shot. The vet stated he was likely very uncomfortable so we are bad parents for not taking him in sooner. Well we did only see them this morning but should have gone with our instincts when we got him and had a full checkup.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hopefully clearing up the tapeworm will let him get some meat on his bones. :) I'm sure Jack will enjoy eating like he's in training while he's gaining. :chow

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Don't worry, you are not a bad parent. Sometimes these things happen and now that you know what it is and got him on the meds you wil see the pounds packing on him soon. Tapeworm is pretty much standard worm issues with retired greys. Usually the adoption group will do a de-worming before they adopt out, but some fall through the cracks.

I have Ellie who is chalkful of hookworm which is rare out in Arizona. But but I don;t blame anyone for it..Like I said stuff happens. Jack will get rid of the little buggers and a little "extra" treats and food and he will put on some weight and probably be doing zoomies all over the place :lol

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest BlackandBrindle

Worms are to dogs what colds are to humans. At some point your dog is going to pick them up. You aren't bad parents. You took him to the evet for worms. Most people wouldn't do that ;)

Tapes are relatively easy to get rid of but watch the others' poops to make sure Jack is the only one with worms.

Guest KennelMom

Worms in the poop are usually tapes...though unless he had a massive infestation I doubt he was uncomfortable or severely malnourished because of it. Fortunately, they are very easy to treat successfully.

Jack will be fine. Tapeworms are usually from fleas and do not always show up in a fecal test like hooks, whips and rounds. Your regular vet may want to give him a second dose in a few weeks.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest longdogs

To look at him I would think the tapes are just part of the problem. Most intestinal worm infections barely register in a healthy dog unless they have a heavy infestation, so I'm thinking he's got a pretty heavy load of mixed wrigglers. They are quickly treated, just make sure you give him a regular worming to stop a repeat infection.