Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea

Guest ejw

I'm glad to hear that the surgery is done and that she's doing fine :)

I had a bit of a 'thing' about the leg too. I know they sent part of the affected bone area for biopsy in Darcy's case and I suppose the..um...rest of the limb goes to a special medical incinerator. I don't know for sure because I never asked but this is what I suspect happens.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad she is out of surgery and that everything went well. It's best not to visit her anyway. She would be so happy and excited to see you only to have you leave again. She doesn't understand. This way, it's just one loooooong day for her.

Please update when you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I talked to a vet tech this morning and she had a relatively good night. She is getting up some, with difficulty and some help. They took her out for a pee, but she peed when she got back in! My girl is drunk and disordered!

Talked to her surgeon later today and she said her recovery is going as expected. Some crying when she moves about. They changed her pain meds as the ones she was getting weren't as effective as necessary. She is still on IV, so they don't know if she will eat yet. She said she is sleeping a lot, and I just about said, "What's new? She's a greyhound!" She will call tomorrow and expects Jamaica will come home either late tomorrow or Saturday. DS says "You better hope for Saturday. You've no idea how bad Friday rush hour is!" If it's Saturday, he might come in with me, which would be a blessing and an unexpected gift, as he has all along thought I should put her and Scooter down.

The other two girls are missing her, especially Tansi. I miss her presence in bed at night, even though she is a bit of a bed hog! I keep counting 2 on the way in or out of the house, and catch my self wondering where is number 3? It's a rather subdued pair that meet me at the door. This afternoon they didn't even bother coming until I called them. I miss my pogo-ing girl with the whackety tail.

Guest vahoundlover
:grouphug I can only imagine how hard this road is. It breaks my heart to know quite a few of you are fighting this scary battle. There is so much strength on this board, I hope if I am ever faced with these kinds of decisions, that I can muster the strength and courage that you guys have. Continued good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

:

I hope if I am ever faced with these kinds of decisions, that I can muster the strength and courage that you guys have. Continued good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

You would do just fine. We have too as there is no time for poor "me" when all about "them".

Somehow, someway we get through it and having GT behind is is something I am forever grateful for. I don't know how I could have done it without everyone's encouragement and support.

I hope that you NEVER have to go through it but know that no matter what- you won't be alone.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Jamaica's home!

I didn't freak out -- mostly because she was sporting black vet wrap to match her coat, and at first, other than the missing leg, I didn't even see the shaved areas. She didn't seem too thrilled to see me -- it's taken til this evening to see my pogo girl back again. The vet tech made me feel like she had all the time in the world for my questions which I really appreciated. Everyone told me what a sweetheart and good patient she was. There were a couple of shocked looks when we left from people just coming in, but she hobbled out of the hospital on her own just fine.

She didn't know how to get in the car, so the vet tech assisted her. (Lord, help me to have the patience and wisdom to help her learn how to do it like that and not try to do it all for her!) I really appreciated her help getting Jamaica in the car. Jamaica promptly laid down and didn't get up til we were in the driveway.

I lifted her out of the car and she hobbled in the house with some help up the front steps.

I let her settle before I let the other girls back in. Scooter and Tansi were glad to see her. I've never seen Tansi wag her tail so much! Tansi stood over her sniffing her head and Jamacia looked at me as if it was a real insult and would I please take Tansi away? :lol It's usually Jamaica who stands over Tansi.

She has been switching beds off and on all evening, so a little restless, but she's only yelped once when trying to get up.

DS and family came out for a visit and she was almost with the other two to meet them at the door. She had a couple of chicken feet, supper and finally a good drink of water. She was just out for a looong pee, was OK even though I botched helping her down the steps (must remember to be beside her and not partly behind!), hopped on her own out to pick a pee place, and came in mostly on her own. When I asked if they wanted to go outside, she pogo-ed a bit, which tickled me pink.

She had a Percocet about 4 pm but is panting now. Not sure if it's from her excursion outside or if she needs a Percocet again (it's 7:30) and her prescription says one every 6 - 8 hours. I'm tempted to give her another at 8 pm instead of 10 if the panting doesn't stop by 8. Is that pushing it?

BTW, her leg was incinerated. I feel much better knowing it didn't end up in the trash. Silly, the things that bother me!

Sounds like she came home in very good form. How is she today?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wouldn't overdo the opiates as that is an issue in itself but do what you can to keep her comfortable. With the opiates they need to be weaned off as well.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, Jamaica's recovery so far is going so well! I'm sure she could do the stairs by herself but I am putting a towel around her yet until I am really sure she is steady on her feet. She jumped into bed again last night, but this morning was ready to jump off it instead of waiting for me. I finally managed to get the mattress on the floor; I am more afraid of her jumping down and losing her balance than of her jumping up. She is definitely having more pain and I hear these pathetic yowls from the bedroom, where she seems to prefer to spend her time right now. But she is eating well -- when I say "turkey" I hear immediate crying as she gets up, and sooner or later she comes hobbling down the hall. Same for the word "outside". Her poops have firmed up somewhat. She went 1/2 way down the driveway today before deciding that was enough of that!

She's been good at keeping her bandage on. So far, no slippage, so whoever wrapped her up did a good job.

I was watching her hobble about today and wondering if she will ever regain the grace she had before. It sure hurts to see her struggle to get about. It seems impossible she will ever walk effortlessly again, never mind run.

She sounds like she's really doing well so far :)

I said this to another new amputee Mum recently - they do loose a bit of themselves with this surgery (maybe a bit of the old character or maybe the old way of walking) ...but they grow new, extra fabulous things instead and these things more than make up for the old bits which have gone :wub:

The other shoe thing. Well. I'd prepare yourself for YOU feeling somewhat down over the next few days or so. But then you'll be back again and ready to move forward, along with Jamaica :)

Edit - she will run :) Really, she'll run as she may well find that easier than actually walking.

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!