Rizzo's Cancer Treatment Is Done!

Guest RooRoo

Way to go Rizzo!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

:confetti Yay Rizzo!! :confetti

Maria, you guys were so diligent in getting the handsome boy what he needed, it's insipring. He looked sooo good at GH Planet Day. It's really amazing.

Oh Rizzo, your mom made me do this... :cry1 But I promise they are happy tears! We are so proud of you and can't wait to hang out with you in Dewey! (If your dad will let Quiet Man disrupt your peaceful beach lounging!) :P

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest LadyChester

Rizzo will be going to Dewey?!?!?!? I MUST meet this boy and Kiwi, too! Every time I see a post about him I just smile. Be sure to wear your John Deere hat, Rizzo, so I'll be able to pick you out of the crowd :kiss2

Rizzo will be going to Dewey?!?!?!? I MUST meet this boy and Kiwi, too! Every time I see a post about him I just smile. Be sure to wear your John Deere hat, Rizzo, so I'll be able to pick you out of the crowd :kiss2

Aren't you sweet Kim? Yes we'll be there! It is Rizzo's 5th Dewey and he's very excited :D We spend most of the time on the beach hanging out...

Rizzo (usually in his hat) always has his tent pitched, so in case you don't see his JD hat, you'll see this....DSC00049.jpg

and know that Rizzo has Reached the Beach!

He LOVES sand and surf B) Rizzo at Dewey 2007

DSC00016-1.jpg

PLEASE stop by and say hello, don't hesitate :)

Edited by RooRoo

That is FANTASTIC news!!! Thanks for sharing the information, Dr. Coutu and his team are awesome and one day, one day we will beat this SOB of a disease.

Rizzo, you look great! Keep on trucking, big boy!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks so much for your synopsis of Rizzo's treatement.

What had to be done before he could start treatment? Did he have to have x-rays, MRI or other, or did they just start treatment? (an MRI would be a huge decision on whether I can even afford to do this). Jamaica's tumour is back and I am planning on surgery again, but want to follow up with something else. I am dead against any radiation.

Thanks so much for your synopsis of Rizzo's treatement.

What had to be done before he could start treatment? Did he have to have x-rays, MRI or other, or did they just start treatment? (an MRI would be a huge decision on whether I can even afford to do this). Jamaica's tumour is back and I am planning on surgery again, but want to follow up with something else. I am dead against any radiation.

I'm sorry to hear about Jamaica :( This has been our first time dealing with cancer and now I know how stressful and tragic it is for us and our dogs...

My oncologist and her colleague recommended 17 radiation treatments at the site of the former tumor to radiate the remaing cancer cells as Rizzo's pathology came back with "dirty margins" for a 2nd time. We decided to go ahead with this (we didn't know about intraincisional yet). So the oncologists (1) did a chest x-ray to ensure the cancer had not spread to the lungs/lymphnodes (2) blood work ... then set Rizzo up for the treatment. There was 6 week period of time between the 2nd surgery and what would have been the start of the radiation. We had to wait for the surgery site to be healed (the graft was super delicate and at one point compromised) first before we went forward with any more medical treatment.

In the case of Rizzo's hemangiopericytoma... cancer of the soft tissue, he did not (have to) have an MRI or other testing before radiation was recommended by the oncologist(s). Lungs were clear, blood work fine and Rizzo was healing well from his surgery so he was ready to move forward. We were petrified of radiation as it related to Rizzo's nervousness and driving back and forth every single day for 3 weeks (excluding weekends) and being put under anethesia everyday. These are the things that worried us most. I didn't know if he could handle it and I know DH and I were dreading it for him and us. :unsure

I'm not sure how much radiation costs where you live, but in the Boston area, we were quoted a definitive $5,000.00 for the 3 weeks of treatment at this well-known (and respected) facility. While we don't like to put a price on our pups, the truth of the matter is, we have to take eveything into consideration when making big decisions like this, including financially. I know MRI's are traditionally expensive but radiation can be well beyond that (at least here)! This chemo treatment was a fraction of the cost of radiation.

When we found Dr. H to do the intraincisional chemo, he just obtained the chest xray and the blood work from the other oncologist and we were ready and started immediately.

The "normal" course of action for this type of cancer anyway, is to try surgery once, do surgery again if margins are not clean *IF POSSIBLE* (cannot always do another surgery) and then radiation. Of course, I don't know with your pup and the type and location of the cancer/tumor and what other variable would determine what is next and best for Jamaica. Radiation isn't necessarily always recommended after a tumor removal. If clean margins or nearly clean margins are obtained, they may not feel anything further needs to be done and only your doctor can determine that after the pathology report is back.

But I can say that I would, definitely, without hesitation, ask your oncologist about intraincisional chemotherapy as a possible alternative if s/he recommends radiation as the next step after Jamaica's surgery. When you get to that point contact Dr. Couto too. He read Rizzo's pathology and was confident this was a great alternative to the radiation for him. Dr. Couto is so willing to communicate via email and/or telephone to other doctors about this procedure and explain how/why/how long/when he uses it. He sent the written protocol directly to my Dr. and even shipped the "research grade" sesame oil to him from Ohio - all within 5 days or so of my oncologist getting on board.

Remember, an oncologist regularly performs intraincisional chemo so the actual procedure itself is not new or doesn't need to be learned. They just need to know how much sesame oil and flurouracil (5FU) drug to mix and then inject it. Basically, it is the specific application into a barren tumor site that is "new" to most doctors. Current protocol is that chemo injection goes into an existing tumor; if no tumor then radiation is the tried and true protocol for them.

Don't settle for a no if you find out that this could be an alternative and you think it could be in Jamaica's best interest. It may not be easy to do your research on this (there is VERY little on the internet about this) but if you have to make calls to other medical professionals in your area after communicating with Dr. C (and his team) to find what you want, it could be worth it.

I hope things work out for you. Feel free to PM is you have any other questions. I wish you and Jamaica lots of good wishes and strength to get through it all. :hope

Take care,

Maria

Edited by RooRoo

• 9 months later...
Guest eaglflyt

Thanks so much for sharing this information. Rizzo is a very handsome fellow and I pray you have many good years together!

Congratulations Rizzo!!

I hope to be reading about you and seeing pics of your gorgeous self for many years to come. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)