Nelly

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

So it's been one month (:yay) since Nelly (age 8) was diagnosed with kidney failure. We're trying to treasure (and not agonize) through every day (not always easy).

But the last couple of days... not so good. She's been pretty much refusing all food since yesterday morning. This is sudden and rare (she ate fine on Monday). Her appetite hasn't been great, but we've gotten her to eat. Yesterday, nothing but a bite of lunch meat and some honey. Believe me, we've tried ALL the tricks (we've lived with another dog who never ate, and we're quite familiar with the Anything She'll Eat diet.). She's on her Pepcid and Tums (no vomiting or grass-eating). She actually kind of acts like her throat hurts.

We're trying to figure out... is a couple of days of not eating here and there par for the course with kidney failure? Or is this a sign of the impending end? She's still enjoying her walks and cuddles and seems pretty happy overall... she just won't eat (today). Will her appetite ever come back on its own, or is it gone for good??

Part II is that we leave in an hour for her first acupuncture treatment (mainly for her arthritis; we had to take her off the Rimadyl and the Tramadol is not as effective). I'm nervous about the "it gets worse before it gets better," but she hit a low yesterday anyway. I'm ready for some better.

Anyway... if you have good thoughts or words of comfort/advice/wisdom/experience, we could use 'em!

Thanks!

I had a cat in renal failure for three and a half years, and yes, there were days he just wouldn't eat. Sugar didn't have kidney problems until the end, but she often went off her feed, and the acupuncture did help her appetite. The acupuncture vet would do "appetite" points, and it did take awhile, but it helped. Also, she never went through the gets worse before it gets better stage, so maybe your baby won't either. Good luck!

How did the acupuncture go? Any eating going on today?

I have heard of other folks' kidney dogs not eating from time to time but don't know if that's the norm or not. Ours almost always ate, and died at a ripe old age of something else.

Sending big hugs and hungry thoughts to Ms. Nelly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have you tried an appetite stimulant? Your vet could prescribe one. Might help. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Greensleeves

Thanks, everyone!

The acupuncture was at 1 pm, at our regular vets' office. It was nice getting another vet's thoughts on a couple of different things--she gave us some advice for making pill-taking easier, for instance. She also suggested (ready, iluvgreys? ;)) an appetite stimulant called Mirtazapine. We had to clear that with Nelly's regular doctor first, and they warned us that it might not take effect for 24 hours or so.

Well. Miss Nelly apparently didn't get the memo. She came home and slept soundly for a little bit, but by the time evening rolled around, she was ready to eat! And go on another walk! Of course, we have no idea if this is the acupuncture or the Mirtazapine, or both... or neither--but we'll take it! I gave her the rest of her day's food a few minutes ago--and she *wolfed* it down (this was, I think, part hunger from not eating yesterday, part whatever we're treating her with, and part Jasmine and Tessie staring her down as she ate. :lol).

The acu-doc said she normally schedules weekly appointments for 3-4 weeks to see if it's going to have any effect, but we kind of feel like a month is a really long time to look ahead for Nelly, so we'll see her again Monday, and then again next Friday, to get the first 3 treatments in in about 10 days. (I would be ecstatic to have a month.)

They do this on people, too, right? 'Cause I think I'm gonna crack from the strain of all this up-and-down. Mirtazapine is a human anti-depressant, and I've already warned DH that he'd better be checking Nelly's supply... :lol

Oh, lordy--I almost forgot. She's got more bloodwork on Friday. :ohno

I am glad to hear Nelly is doing so well! I think giving her the first three acu treatments close together is a good idea, get the most benefit fastest. Nobody knows how much time she has but you are making the time she does have more comfortable for her, which is better for all of you :bighug