Any Brushes/combs/tools That Work Well For Shedding And

Guest iaksma

I'm using the Kong Zoom Groom and it works well for getting tons of fur out, but then I've got fur flying all over the place. :headwall I end up going over their coat after a couple brushes with the ZG with a comb to pick up all the clumps and loose hairs.

Is there any tool out there that both gets a lot of the loose fur out AND holds it so it doesn't fly all over the place?

I looked at the furminator video, but it seems like it would behave the same way as the Zoom Groom? I'd be happy to hear if you've found the "perfect" shedding tool!

TIA!

Fur sticks pretty well to the Furminator.

It does, but I do all my grooming outside! All the puffs can blow away....

Jan

Mac, "the fur, my friend..is blowin' the wind...the fur is blowin' in the wind.." :rolleyes:

I just use a regular old horsey Curry Comb (orange/red one on top right). It is super cheap and works very very well. The hair clumps up in the rubber and so you just pull it off in one big clump. No stray hairs flying about. :)

ps. works great on cats too!!

Guest jerrybird

I always used a hound glove (a cheapie that I bought at WalMart) and it caught a lot of the loose hair. But, I always groomed outside so the stuff that was missed just blew away. If used regularly, there is really no problem with 'extra' fur flying around.

I just got my Furminator and love it. I bought the medium sized one and it seems fine for my hounds. I groom outside as well and I just let most of the hair blow away. I figure some little critter will have good nesting material for the upcoming winter : )

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

I just use a shedding blade, designed for horses. I do brush outside, though, so I have nothing to clean up!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I just use a shedding blade, designed for horses. I do brush outside, though, so I have nothing to clean up!

We do the same. We've tried the Furminator (a friend loaned one to us), but found a cheapie shedding blade worked just as well, and covers more area per "swipe" too.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Thanks for the quick responses!

For those of you with the furminator, which size do you have? Is there one that's better for greyhound fur?

I agree with the shedding blade thing. Someone pointed out to me a while ago that the Furminator almost undoubtedly spawned from the clipper blade, turned around and given a handle for comfort.

If buying a Furminator, the narrow one is fine. I have one of the really wide ones, but when viewed in context, the blade is straight and the dog is curved. as a result, it's like shaving a bowling ball: the area of contact between tool and dog is so sharp that only the middle part of the blade is "worked."

Of course, the fur clogs it quickly, so the wider blade is useful in that once the middle part is loaded, the left and right parts of the Furminator can be filled up.

There! I bet THAT clears things up for you! :lol

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest tricolorhounds

I think the furminator I have is the small one as I originally wanted to use it on the cats. Works fine for the dogs too. I can comb enough fur out of my ShepherdMix for an entire flock of bird to have nesting materiel for the entire winter.

Edited by tricolorhounds

Guest Dillymom

I have a medium furminator and just make sure to do it outside. I have a nature preserve behind my house so I'm sure something out there will appreciate the hairballs.