Question About Urine Samples (uti Related Issue)

Guest ProudGreyMom

Guest ProudGreyMom

I need to take a pee sample to the vet tomorrow morning to test for UTI issues and was wondering if I can get the sample tonight?? And if so, should it be refrigerated or kept at room temp? I have many more chances this evening to get it than I do tomorrow before work (especially from a squating female!!)

Thanks so much!

Better if you get it tomorrow a.m.

Refrigerate if you can't get to the vet promptly (within the hour). And let vet know when you got it and whether it was refrigerated.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ProudGreyMom

Thanks, that's what I thought. I usually make a little label on with the dog's name, time, etc. If she won't go before work, I will try to get a sample on my lunch break and then bring it right to the vet.

You already have the answer you need which is exactly what I've always told as well. I just want to wish you luck getting the sample. I have to do it every 2 months and sometimes it's just NOT fun.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ProudGreyMom

Thanks for the good luck wishes!! I think I have to use a margerine bowl top and catch what I can. She squats soooooooooo darn low! Too bad I couldn't use her pp accidents on the kitchen floor!

Thanks for the good luck wishes!! I think I have to use a margerine bowl top and catch what I can. She squats soooooooooo darn low! Too bad I couldn't use her pp accidents on the kitchen floor!

Both my girls squat really low. I'm lucky because they are very used to me being out in the yard with them so they don't pay attention to what I'm doing so I just(with my foot) slide a plastic container under them

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ProudGreyMom

Its a definate that I have to bring in a sample. She just went out again (twice in 45 mins) and both boys were sniffing her backside afterwards. :( Poor sweetie, I can tell she feels cranky.

another thing you can use to catch the sample is a foil pie tin. I think if I tried to use a margarine lid I would end up losing most of the sample. The reason to catch a first of the morning sample is that is when the urine will be the most concentrated and that is best for testing.

I used a big tupperware dish that I was going to throughout to get a sample for Ali. It wasn't to big to scare her, just slid it under her while she went and then transferred it to a small Styrofoam cup with lid on it. I kept in the fridge until I dropped it at the vet (all within 2 hours). They like a morning sample if at all possible. Oh, yeah the tupperware dish is kept in the garage so that no uses it!

Guest ProudGreyMom

Sample has been captured this morning successfully and I will drop it off at the vet's soon. She never even knew I was behind her with the pee-catcher! :)