Found One Flea...

Guest EnzaFerrari

Guest EnzaFerrari

I was running a flea comb through Enza and found one single flea. No flea debris or anything - just that one flea.

So I applied her monthly frontline a day early and grabbed her bedding and headed to the laundrymat.

I also picked up Adams Flea Spray Mist and Knockout as I really don't want this to become a problem. I am currently washing my curtains in hot water as I found TWO fleas on the curtains. I also tossed in the sheet that she sleeps on that I put down on the bed when I leave - no fleas or even flea "dust" on that but I figured it couldn't hurt. My sheets are going in next.

(Did I mention my dryer is busted I am trying to dry everything on my drying rack?)

I sprayed the Adams Flea spray on the insert of her bed and the rug in there. I also sprayed it around where her living room bed is. I figured that was okay as it says it is safe to spray on them as well.

I was thinking of spraying the rest of my condo with the knockout right before I go to bed as we sleep with the door closed and its cool enough to have the windows open.

Is there anything else I should be thinking of/doing?

I have a feather mattress on my bed - do I need to spray that and my pillows as she sleeps on those?

I am sure I am overreacting but I loathe fleas and don't want this to become a bigger problem.

Edited by EnzaFerrari

Did she have a Frontline dose last month? If so, your plan is probably just fine. Might check around the base of her tail for fleas / flea dirt just in case, but it is not uncommon for a flea or two to take a ride on your Frontlined dog and not die instantly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gmangel12

Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. Use a carpet flea powder and vacuum then make sure to chenge the bad or empty the filter and bring it out to the trash asap. Petsmart has a powder that is more natural then the usual ones...less chemicals.....its in a cream and beige bottle, dont remember the name. Good luck

Guest EnzaFerrari
Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. Use a carpet flea powder and vacuum then make sure to chenge the bad or empty the filter and bring it out to the trash asap. Petsmart has a powder that is more natural then the usual ones...less chemicals.....its in a cream and beige bottle, dont remember the name. Good luck

Do I need to use a powder if I am using a carpet spray as well?

And to answer the above, yes she was given Frontline last month as well.

I've vacuumed twice today and dumped the container into a bag and then rinsed it out and flushed THAT down the toilet.

I flea combed her again and nothing.

So really hoping that flea was just along for a ride.

Guest gmangel12

Im not really familiar with the flea spray, read the bottle and if it says it is meant for carpets as well then you should be fine without the powder. Washing everything in hot water was really good, hopefully it was just that one :-)

If you found fleas on your curtains, it's a virtual certainly that your entire apartment has fleas.

Hopefully I am wrong--you'll just have to play it by ear at this point! Any little red bites on your ankles?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest EnzaFerrari
If you found fleas on your curtains, it's a virtual certainly that your entire apartment has fleas.

Hopefully I am wrong--you'll just have to play it by ear at this point! Any little red bites on your ankles?

That's my fear. I've wandering around for two days in white socks to find out where the suckers are congregating, but none are coming out. No bites what so ever on me. My neighbor downstairs said she's infested with tiny gnats, so that is always a possibility.

But I sprayed the flea spray last night, vacuumed for the fourth time, and flea combed Enza for the fifth time and there are no fleas or eggs or anything on her. So really, really, really hoping things have nicked.

Hopefully.