Update On Faye

Guest Sassifrass

Guest Sassifrass

Thank you to everyone who sent prayers for Faye, who lost the use of her back legs on Wednesday of this week. The vet called today and said that Faye is doing a little better today. They have started her on a course of prednisone.

I am bringing her home tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon and we will see how she does. The hospital will provide a sling so that I can get her outside and moving around a little.

The vet said today that Faye will stay on the pred. for about a week. I guess then we'll see whats what.

Is it possible for her to stay on pred. for a longer time? I didn't think to ask the vet during our phone conversation.

I'm happy to hear that Faye is doing better. :) Hopefully the Pred. will help the return of leg function. Yes, you can keep a hound on Pred for much longer. With Phoenix, we started with 10 mg. daily for 2 weeks, then began to taper off slowly, including dropping to 5 mg. every other day during the 4th week. You'll want to be sure and give her some Pepcid 30 to 60 min. before the Pred., and at the same time as a meal. It's hard on the stomach. Keeping prayers flowing to your baby girl. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Just saw this update - my girl Cody was on pred for a year & a half! (The other option would have been to put her to sleep...) It does have some side effects but it DID help her back end! I also did acupuncture with her, which helped a lot!! The sling will be helpful and you may only need it extensively at first. I think I used Cody's for several months, then slacked off on it as she had improved.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest paulamariez

Sending more prayers, love and light for your sweet Faye! I'm glad to hear that she's coming home, because that's the best place for a hound to recover and get well! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending precious Faye some healing doggie kisses!

Guest Greensleeves

Whistler was another senior hound on pred for more than a year. In his case, it was a miracle drug, and we credit it with giving him a really, really good last year of his life (until cancer got him). It gave him a little relief from his LS, kept a weird auto-immune condition under control, but most importantly: it gave him back his appetite and helped him stay at a healthy, happy, hungry weight. We cut him down to as low a dose as possible, but he was never able to go completely off it without stopping eating.

Whistler was another senior hound on pred for more than a year. In his case, it was a miracle drug, and we credit it with giving him a really, really good last year of his life (until cancer got him).

For our grey Hobbes it was also a miracle drug and he was on it for almost a year before he passed away from cancer. He had lost the use of his back legs due to some neurological problems but in just a few days on Prednisone was able to walk and move quite well (for a 13 year old grey). His dose was adjusted occasionally but his maintenance level was usually 20 mg. per day. We gave him 10 mg. Pepcid 30 minutes before meals and it really helped his stomach.

May Faye continue to improve and feel better!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending more prayers for your sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.