Low Blood Platelets Even For Greyhound

Guest arlosmom

Guest arlosmom

one of my eight year old boys recently had some red spots on his inner thigh that looked like small hemorages. Vet did blood work and platelets were on the low side for a greyhound and were lower significantly than previous blood panel any one had experience with this. Prednisone cleared up the spots almost immediately.

Hi Deb :wave

Which of your boys is this? Arlo or Feather? Did you take any pictures? Is he acting sick at all?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I've seen the same thing in TBD dogs. I guess there are other things that could cause it, but with a greyhound, my first thought would be TBD.

I'm not really sure about this, but I think that Pred treatment might throw off TBD titer results. So that to get an accurate reading, you would have to do PCRs instead, which are more expensive than titers and take longer to get results - weeks vs days.

Guest 4Irishgreys

A couple of years ago, my Dylan had the same thing. He was tested for all the TBD's and all came up negative but we treated him for all those diseases anyway on the recommendation of Dr. Stack, who my regular vet contacted. He even had a bone marrow test - all negative. He literally was on prednisone, low doses for almost a year before his platelet count came up. I now give him a vitamin E capsule which was another recommendation from someone in Connecticut whose dog had the same problem. Knock on wood, he hasn't had any problems since.

Shirley

Guest Cris_M
I guess there are other things that could cause it, but with a greyhound, my first thought would be TBD.

Having been through the "other things", I sincerely hope it is a TBD. I agree with sending off for a complete titre, and going ahead with treatment now.

Hope your boy feels better soon.

My Daisy also went through this. All TBD test came back negative but we did start her on Doxycycline and her platelets starting going back up the next day. She also developed vasculitis (which Dr. Couto confirmed through her biopsy) and the Doxy worked on that also. Dr. Bill is right, I would start her on a course of Doxy right away.

Guest arlosmom
Hi Deb :wave

Which of your boys is this? Arlo or Feather? Did you take any pictures? Is he acting sick at all?

It is Arlo and after a week of prednisone the spots are gone and his platelets were up 9000. Doc was a little baffled told us to watch for eye or gum hemorages. I wondered if he might be having a reaction to the new carpet (fumes) or they have changed the formula of my laundry detergent and made it more concentrated. I have seen him licking more frequently between his legs prior to the prednisone and tonight after finishing the medicine I saw him licking his old lickin place on his foreleg. He and Jewel seem to be kinda itchy. She was chewing her butt and we took her and had her anal glands expressed and she really needed it but she is still chewing her butt a little.

Guest arlosmom
Hi Debbie. Glad you came here. There are several vets here and I see 2 have already chimed in. I hope all is well with Arlo.

Lori, he went to the vet today and his platelets were up 9000 after a week on prednisone, the spots are gone. He is still acting a little itchy, but he has a lick granuloma that has been controled with the prosac. I will ask Doc Layton about the TBD and see what he thinks. I know that Jewel has been tested when we got her but I can't rememeber if we ever tested Arlo. P. S. If I reply to you can everyone else see my response?

Guest greybookends
Hi Debbie. Glad you came here. There are several vets here and I see 2 have already chimed in. I hope all is well with Arlo.

Lori, he went to the vet today and his platelets were up 9000 after a week on prednisone, the spots are gone. He is still acting a little itchy, but he has a lick granuloma that has been controled with the prosac. I will ask Doc Layton about the TBD and see what he thinks. I know that Jewel has been tested when we got her but I can't rememeber if we ever tested Arlo. P. S. If I reply to you can everyone else see my response?

Yes they can.

Guest arlosmom

Yes they can.

thanks, I am still figuring out how all this stuff works.

The platelets are up 9000 or they are up to 9000? A platelet count of 9000 is awful. It may be better but a patient is considered urgent and at risk for spontaneous bleeding until you get the count over at least 25,000!!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest arlosmom
The platelets are up 9000 or they are up to 9000? A platelet count of 9000 is awful. It may be better but a patient is considered urgent and at risk for spontaneous bleeding until you get the count over at least 25,000!!

It is in the 100,000 range they were uP 9000 . I also called our vet this am because I thought he had been previously tested for TBD and he had with no disease detected so we are just keeping an eye. He is eating great.