Keeping Splints Dry

Of course on a Sunday I have a question and no vet until tomorrow. Anyway, how dry do they mean to keep a short splint on hind leg? Is it ok to let her walk through the wet grass? She has to be leash walked for potty breaks and so far is holding out! Wonder how long she will make it?? :blink:

I use the plastic bags that the newspaper comes in. Slip in the leg and tape in place. Perhaps use a fabric ponytail band or a rubber band if it's not too tight. Works good enough for a quick potty break.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytful4

It's a royal pain to keep the bandage dry having just been thru that. My vet gave me a heavy duty plastic IV bag threaded around the top with gauze to tie it on. I was told by my vet that if the bandage gets wet, it will shrink up on the dog's foot. Better safe than sorry....

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Keep it very dry!

Even in wet grass it's enough to cause problems. The outside may seem like it dries up fine but it's the inside of the wrap that will cause the most problems since it doesn't dry nearly as fast.

Is the wrap open on the bottom so the toes are exposed or is it a total enclosed wrap?

Keep it very dry!

Even in wet grass it's enough to cause problems. The outside may seem like it dries up fine but it's the inside of the wrap that will cause the most problems since it doesn't dry nearly as fast.

Is the wrap open on the bottom so the toes are exposed or is it a total enclosed wrap?

It is enclosed with a hard end for clomping around. She gets re-checked Thurs and in the meantime I am concerned with any pressure sores, etc going on in there. I am wondering if a thera-paw boot would still work as well with keeping the toe protected and less chance of problems.

Guest simile

She's probably going to get some sores regardless of how careful you are with padding or keeping it dry. Greys have such thin hair and skin, the sore are almost impossible to avoid, especially on a back leg/foot.

Now, keeping the sucker dry... I just went through seven weeks of this, and we've had constant rain for four of those weeks. Until you can get an IV bag from the vet (those really work the best), use the heaviest plastic bag you can find, put in on, then put a sock on over it. I used a dress sock (went through two pairs). It was a lot easier than wrapping and unwrapping vet wrap or tape. If she uses the leg at all, there's a good chance she'll tear through the plastic, even with a sock on, so you can put some duct tape on the bottom of the bag before putting on the sock. During Tip's splint time, I would also put a dry sock on him after he came inside and I took off the bag/wet sock. It helped keep him from messing with the splint and bandage. Oh, and I continued to put a sock on over the IV bag, once I got it.

Gook luck, and I hope your girl is feeling better soon.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Is this for the corns you posted about before?

If so then I would think a wrap is not even really needed. I would think the boot with a bit of padding in the bottom would be perfectly fine to protect the food and pads.

Wrapping up legs and feet with these greyhounds are just such a pain as their skin is sooooo thin and even the slightest irritation can cause nasty soars.

Also when was the wrap put on? If it got wet and you are scheduled for a wrap change on Thursday I would keep a very close eye on it and smell it too. Ya Ya I know but if something is going on in there you will be able to smell it or if your hound is messing with it more than normal I would say set up the appointment sooner to get it changed or taken completely off.

With any type of wrap I would change every 3 days just to be on the safe side.

Use a medi-paw boot---they are the best--easy on and easy off--waterproof and breathable. I got mine from www.sitstay.com

What size did you use?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

this was for a badly dislocated toe~~she slid into a dog bed going full speed. well, this early morning I noticed she was starting to limp so I called and got her an appt for 4 this afternoon. I was really on the alert for pressure sores starting up. So, sure enough, she already had two in just the 48 hours. the toe is looking great, she is walking fine, so vets concluded the splint is going to cause more harm than good. so no splint now but really restricted activity. I can deal with that and she is being cooperative. So again, kudoes (sp??) to greytalk people for having me on the lookout for a problem that would have been so much worse by the end of the week!

It is my other hound with the corns which by the way are responding to the duck tape. strange but good.