Question On Possible Lymphoma

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Pup has enlarged Lymph nodes. We took him to the vet and had a needle biopsy done. We took a few samples from a couple different nodes and all showed up clear. No Lyphoma

We did some other simple test such as blood work and a snap test which did show up for Erhlicia (sp)

So he was placed on Doxy. It has now been over a month and the nodes are still quite swollen.

Odd thing is his nodes that are swollen are just basically in the "front half" None of his nodes in his back legs or groin area are swollen at all.

I need to make another appointment to check and see what is going on but my question is.

Has anyone had a needle biopsy done and had it come up negative but went ahead and had a wedge sample or a complete node removed to find out later that it was indeed Lympoma??

I'm just really worried here as Pup is just about 11 and it seems between 10-12yr is sorta the time where if something bad is going to show up it does.

Any other ideas or suggestions welcome as to what in the world I could be looking at would be great too.

He's not acting any different, hasn't lost weight, is eating fine, plays as much as Pup would normally play. So everything other than the swollen nodes is perfectly normal.

I wonder if the Doxy dosage wasn't enough or that it is a tick disease other then Ehrlichiosis. Bartonella, Lyme and others can also cause swollen lymph nodes.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

What greytlady said.

Might be worth redoing the aspirate and retesting.

Just about any infection or systemic disease can cause swollen lymph nodes.

Hoping it's just some simple thing and not worse.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KRKWMU

I'm pretty sure that Dr. Couto does not recommend surgically removing a lymph nodes for biopsy. He feels that the needle biopsy is plenty for the diagnosis. When we took Bonnie in, her lymph nodes were changing day to day and our vet only felt a few sets that were enlarged. A needle biopsy found the lymphoma cells and that was that. :(

Could you send a quick email to Dr. Couto and ask for his recommendations? I would be worried because the lymph nodes aren't down after the Doxy. Maybe he could help... :dunno

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

We were told with our Angel LaceyLaine that if the needle aspirations were negative...they would do an open biopsy. Sadly...all 6 aspirates were positive for Lymphosarcoma. Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Well Pup was not on the correct dosage of Doxy to begin with. Our vet started us out on 100mg 2x a day.

I checked with a good friend who is a vet and well versed with greyhounds and found out that he was way under dosed.

So I'm upping his Doxy with hopes that works.

How long on the proper dosage of Doxy should I see a difference in the nodes and reduced swelling?

Might PM Burpdog -- she'd likely know. Some symptoms -- "just not right," low platelet count, etc. -- ought to start resolving in a couple of days, but I dunno about lymph nodes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If it is ehrlichiosis there would be an improvment pretty much day to day in her platelet count once the dosage was corrected, but I don't know how long it would take for the lymph nodes to reduce in size.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for pup. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest snowberry

This won't come as any comfort to you, but Herbie had a full node (under his chin) removed for biopsy, it came back negative, and we spent a couple of months trying to figure out what he had. Did a needle biopsy, this time he really did have lymphoma. In the very early stages of lymphoma, it doesn't always show up on lab tests.

However, there are a number of other things it could be, including antibiotic-resistant infections, so don't let me scare you! here's hoping the increased dose of doxy does the trick for you.

The lymph nodes in Minerva's neck were swollen bilaterally several days after extraction of one of her chipped lower canines. Needle biopsy showed they were normal. They went back down later. We figure it must've been the extraction.

Any chance anything is going on in the mouth, maybe under the gumline?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)