Swollen Jaw/neck

Guest greydogluvr

Guest greydogluvr

Please any advise regarding this lump/swelling on my Simone's neck/jaw would be appreciated. She was fine this AM. She ate, ran about, and was exited for me to wake up. When we left the house she appeared normal. Upon returning she met us at the door and acted typical. As i was giving her a treat I noticed this swelling. She was eager to eat. I have an appt with my regular vet on Thursday but do not want to wait that long. I am going to drop her off in the morning so she can be his first patient.

I am so worried that it may be her lymph nodes.... or cancer. It is always a first thought. She is acting fine and it is not sore to the touch. She had a dental in February and had 2 teeth extracted. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Okay I am starting to cry.

The pictures are not coming up but click on url they come up--oh no

th_Picture004-1.jpg

th_Picture003-1.jpg

Edited by greydogluvr

Guest koolaidnconner

Well I don't know what that would be, but I would get him to the vets ASAP and make sure.....

Good thoughts and prayers going your way! :f_white

Guest charmsmom

Is it soft and squishy or is it hard? It may be something as simple as a blocked salivary glands. I wouldn't worry just yet. ;)

Guest greydogluvr

It is squishy. Thanks for that suggestion. Never would have thought of that. Is a blocked gland usually painful or not?

Edited by greydogluvr

Guest ArgusRun

If the swelling happened so quickly, my first guess would be a reaction to an insect or reptile bite. But I've not had a greyhound before, so I'm not aware of any breed specific ailments it could be.

I have to admit my vision is really bad so I can't really see it well. It doesn't look like lymph nodes but I'm just not sure. Please try not to panic, it may be nothing serious at all. Let us know how you make out in the morning. We'll keep your girl in our prayers. I HATE "hearing" that panic....take a breath....

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest charmsmom
It is squishy. Thanks for that suggestion. Never would have thought of that. Is a blocked gland usually painful or not?

Most greys don't act like it hurts, but I can't say for sure. If it came up that quickly, it could also be a bug bite reaction, but I think it's probably not cancer if it's squishy. Tumors tend to be hard. Odds are if it feels like fluid, it probably is! :)

Guest greydogluvr

How are blocked salivary glands typically resolved/treated? It does feel fluid filled.

Thanks for all of your repsonses. I am quick to panic.

Guest charmsmom

I know surgery is one option, and draining it with a needle is another, but I don't know what the other options are. The main thing is that blocked glands are not going to be anything life-threatening. So, just give her some extra lovin' and biskies, and relax a little until you talk to the vet. :)

How are blocked salivary glands typically resolved/treated? It does feel fluid filled.

Lora, guess what? We're all quick to panic

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

It might be a snake or bug/spider bite. For tonight, I'd give benedryl and get to the vet in the AM. It could also be a dental issue, or, less likely w the quick onset, lymphoma. I would not go to the e-vet unless you think it's a snake bite. Can you find any puncture wound on the snout or neck?

Take a deep breath, do a thorough check of your pup's skin/fur, give benedryl to reduce swelling and proceed in the morning.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest greydogluvr

She does not have any obvious signs of a bite. She is still following me as usual. I will try the Benedryl. How much do you give? She is a big, beautiful Greyhound of about 85 pounds.... Okay closer to 90 at her last vet visit.

Guest greydogluvr

Lora, guess what? We're all quick to panic

you are right. Just had to let it out. My Simone has been through so much already.

here is a link to a grey recovering from a blocked salivary gland at GALT------pics and alll

http://www.greyhoundadoptiontx.org/available/talulah.shtml

That is just about the same spot where her swelling began. Oh no, but at least not a life threatening condition if that is what it is. He looks great now but, wow, those are some awful pictures.

Edited by greydogluvr

As for the Benadryl, I don't know if that will help but if you want to give it to her, you can safely give her 2. Can't hurt. Actually it's 1mg per 1lb of weight.I wouldn't give her more than 2 though, but that's just me

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Robin actually got swollen just like that one day when we were cleaning house. We gave him a BIG rawhide bone someone had given him, as we were cleaning house ALL DAY and needed him occupied. He chewed for hours, to be honest, which we have not let him do again. We took the bone from him when we noticed the swelling. It went down on its own after a few hours, and we assumed that maybe he had just worked the jaw muscles for too long (like when you lift weights and your muscles are all swollen?). It was soft and squishy, too.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest LindsaySF

It could be anything from a bug bite, blocked salivary glands, to an absessed tooth, to cancer. The latter two are less likely because of the quick onset. Hopefully it is something simple and treatable. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :)

Just checking in. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greydogluvr

She slept well. The swelling has gone down a bit. She at dinner well and I am waiting for her to get up to eat breakfast. The vet office opens at 9:00. I will keep you all updated. Thanks for checking in on my precious one.

Guest greydogluvr

She is up and ate well. I just got off the phone with my vet and we decided that I would bring her in at 2:45. This way I will not have to leave her as a drop off. I feel better about this. I really did not want to leave her alone.

My little Clementine (non grey), keeps licking Simone's teeth, right over the swelling. I wonder now if it her tooth. I had a dream last night that she had some string wrapped around her tooth. It is crazy that even while we sleep they are on our minds.

Here is my little care taker- Clementine

th_Picture.jpg

Edited by greydogluvr