Ozzie

Patsy

The birding community in the Grand Forks, ND area is in mourning today. Ozzie, the single chick from our first-ever-in-town peregrine falcon nest, died. He had *just* started to fly within the past day.

A witness and veteran birder described what happened. In summary:

"I came down to the Happy Face water tower this morning about 9:30, so I could check on seeing Ozzie fly. He was not up on the tower but across the street on an electric pole. He was squawking and one of the adults flew down to give him a lesson. The next thing I knew I saw him fly toward the water tower but he was too low and hit the electric lines and fell to the ground. This is so hard because he died. I called a number of people and with help from (our paper's editor and master birder) , talked to the Raptor Center in Saint Paul. (Ozzie had just been banded two weeks ago).

As I was trying to figure out who to call, one of the many people in the neighborhood, who had been watching his progress, came over; he had seen Ozzie fly around the tower yesterday afternoon about 5 p.m. and said he just made it back to the second tier of the tower.

(Our editor) came back a second time and brought me this poem and to make sure I was doing ok,

Time cannot break

The bird's wing from the bird,

Bird and wing together

Go down, one feather.

No thing that ever flew

Not the bird, not you,

Can die as others do.

by Edna Saint Vincent Millay"

RIP little one; accidents do happen and Nature can be so cruel . . . . but we all were so excited about your arrival. Your banding made front page news! http://www.grandforks.com/articles/?page=v...;property_id=40

Just wanted to remember him "in print" so to speak.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest redreed

Poor little guy... I'm so sorry.

Raptors are very cool. When I was younger I really wanted to work with falcons in particular, but unfortunetly I just don't have the stomach for it.

Again my sympathies.

How sad.

Birds of prey are some of my favorite animals. Last year, I found an immature red-tailed hawk lying in the road. I thought he was dead so I stopped to move his body from the road. When I walked up to him, he was laying on his back looking up at me. I took off my sweater (had a shirt on, too) and wrapped him in it. I was only a couple of minutes from home so I drove there to find the numbers for the local rehabbers but he died as I was on the phone with her. I buried him/her in the woods near where I buried a great blue heron who had died several years ago flying into electrical wires (like Ozzie).

RIP little guy

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I am so sorry. Fly fast and free on Angels Wings Tiny Angel. :grouphugf_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest longdogs

The truth is, that's what happens to most of them. The main thing is peregrines are likely to continue to use the nest site they've chosen. Other years will be better - maybe even this year if they try a second brood.

I'm so sorry! I have volunteered with injured raptors for many years, and every loss still makes me cry.

:grouphug to all of you and prayers that Ozzie flies straight and true and free across the Bridge,

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies