Red Bump On Choo Choo's Leg

Guest Cara_Lea

Guest caiteag

I found this on Choo's leg 2 days ago. She gets lots of abrasions and stuff, so I figured I'd give it a couple of days to see what happened.. it hasn't gotten any larger, but it has gotten redder since I found it. I trimmed the fur around it as best as I could (CAREFULLY) and took a picture...

choo_bump_july10_2008a.jpg

From the searching I've done on here, I think it looks like a hystiocytoma... what do the more expereienced folks think? I'll be calling the vet tomorrow to get her an appointment just to be sure...

Edited by caiteag

This is Gracie's pet bump:

histiocytoma

It comes and goes once or twice a year. No treatment needed unless she nicks it accidentally and then I put antibiotic ointment on it. Vet said not to get excited about it. I"ve seen them on other greys. some owners opt to have then removed.

However, make sure your vet checks it. If there are dark flecks in the red mass it could possibly be a hemangiosarcoma.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Aquitaine developed a histiocytoma within the first month I had her. It was the size of a quarter and on the middle of her tummy. The vet did an aspirate which came back as a histio and said that it would go away on its own. He also said they sometimes come back. Nothing has come back so far. It took about a month to go away and has been clear ever since.

Aquitaine asks that I send her half sister lots of puppy kisses. She also says she's pretty sure that it was lots of extra treats that made her all better.

Edited by carronstar

You're vet will most likely draw out some cells with a syringe--a.k.a. fine needle aspirate (FNA). Most Doctors are comfortable identifying Histio's and Mast cells. I'm sure if it's anything else and it looks concerning he/she will send the slide out to the lab and let a Pathologist take a gander. Finger's crossed that it will be nothing to worry about. :P

This is Gracie's pet bump:

histiocytoma

It comes and goes once or twice a year. No treatment needed unless she nicks it accidentally and then I put antibiotic ointment on it. Vet said not to get excited about it. I"ve seen them on other greys. some owners opt to have then removed.

However, make sure your vet checks it. If there are dark flecks in the red mass it could possibly be a hemangiosarcoma.

Pavé had on that looked exactly like Gracie's...it was on her chin...it's gone now! :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest caiteag

Choo has a vet appointment with her vet for Wednesday. The receptionist at the clinic said that we can get her in sooner if it starts to bleed or something else goes wonky with it.. she would just have to see a different vet.