Hello From Columbia Md

Guest pfrazier21044

Guest pfrazier21044

I am never good with introductions...that is usually my wife's thing. But my wife and I have been researching greyhounds, reading everything that we could get our hands on about the breed and watching a very funny video on YouTube of a greyhound named Grace doing zoomies on a bed in a circle, it always makes me smile when I have had a rotten day. We decided that they would fit in with our lifestyle perfectly since we are very much a homebodies. Luckily my wife doesn't work so she is mother to our two current daughters, a pair of VERY Spoiled siamese cats she says that I have spoiled them rotten but I have quickly realized that she is guilty of it as well. I guess to prove how spoiled they are, they recieve bottled spring water in their bowls (and so will the new furry children) We have had many discussions on Male/Female, I have told her time and time again that we needed another man in the house to half way balance out the estrogen that is running rampant in our household. She says NO...NO NO...that it will be a female, so we have comprimised and want to adopt two, one son and one daughter. But I wasn't sure since I live in a condo but saw a lady walking a pair of English Sheepdogs and another walking a pair of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, and talking to a VERY helpful lady in VA in a yahoo board for Greyhounds. My wife and I are very excited and very nervous since this will be my first dog(s) but she has had a dog before me. We keep telling "THE GIRLS"(our siamese babies) that we are getting "big kitties" lol and they have to share the bed. I don't think that they are impressed :hehe

Guest hamiesmom

Congratulations, can't wait to hear, what two greyhound you will be getting. I'm sure someone has said, that they pick you and not the other way around. Also, you should tell your siamese girls, that greyhounds are really cats in a dog disguise. It sure sounds like everyone will be really spoiled. I have always said, that I want to come back as my sister's greyhound. Regardless of what you are looking for, color, male or female etc., they really do pick you. I wanted a big black male and we were adopted by a beautiful red fawn boy, who we had for 3.5 wonderful years but unfortunately went to the bridge this spring. I still miss my boy very much, my walking buddy, but for now, I dog sit, greyhounds. Good luck and keep us posted. Oh by the way, what are the names of your siamese girls.

Guest mountain4greys

:welcome I used to live in Howard Co for 35 years before moving here. I still have family there.

Congratulations on considering a greyhound. They are the best!!!!

Guest pfrazier21044

Maya is our Blue Point Siamese and we have nicknamed her Crash Bandicoot because she is always into trouble and Nyla is Daddy's Little Princess and she is a Seal Point Siamese. When I come home it is all about me with Nyla..My wife has been telling me that she is getting jealous of that cat LOL. We started the process but then we had major problems in the house and had to have repairs done and didn't think it would be good to have the new children in yet till that was done, it had stressed out the girls as it was. Our only prerequisite is that the dogs are cat trainable, they better have a high tolerence for being spoiled rotten and they had better be hockey fans...my wife has already bought them two doggie hockey jerseys, one Washington Capitals(Her Team) and one Chicago Blackhawks(My Team).

I am not ashamed to say I have been lurking on the forum looking at the great pictures of other people's loves and my wife has fallen in LOVE with Daisy the white hound.

Edited by pfrazier21044

Welcome! Can't wait to see your (eventual) new additions :) In the meantime, don't be shy about posting pics of the kitties :D

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest pfrazier21044

UPDATE: we have gotten everything else including ordering a very large SIX foot by four foot bed LOL...they said that it would hold five normal size dogs in the ad so I think that it will hold two large roaching greyhounds. We are trying to figure out where to put the crates for them, till they are used to our house and routine...and then our couch will no longer be ours LOL. My wife and I are at odds when it comes to the names, she wants to name them Sasha and Nika, but I told her to wait to see what their personalites are. She always seems to win over me though, I think it is that female cunning

Guest pfrazier21044

Pics of my current children

DCP_1869.JPG

My beautiful Nyla(Daddies Little girl)

DCP_1873.JPG

My gorgeous Maya(a.k.a Crash Bandicoot)

Edited by pfrazier21044

Good Luck and you will never regret adopting a greyhound - hope you are getting one that has been fostered so that they can tell you if they are cat safe/small animal safe. My holigans are not there are too many feral cats around here that tease them through the fence :angryfire

Remember pictures are a must when you get your new fur babies

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest pfrazier21044

The agency that we are looking at fosters theres for at least two weeks. We are just finishing up our work in the house so we are ready :)

Yay!! Welcome to GreyTalk!!! I'm in New Carrollton so you'll have to bring them to some MD events!!

What group are you working with?? I've volunteered with 3 of the MD groups (currently volunteering with Greyhound Welfare...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Harry702

Welcome to GT!! :wubsite We just recently went through the adoption process, so I know how it feels to be all excited about your new family members. We adopted through Greyhound Welfare and now volunteer with them. Highly recommend them if you're interested in dogs who have been fostered before coming home with you. (We also have two kitties, so it was important to know for sure that the dog would be okay in the house with them.) We ended up with Harry, who was fostered in a house with two cats, so it couldn't have worked out better.

Best of luck and can't wait to see pictures of the new pups!

Guest formercatlady
I absolutely love Amelie Veille from Greyhound Welfare...what a beautiful girl.

That just so happens to be the group I volunteer with ;) Our group is wonderful (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)!

Seriously though, good luck with whichever group you work with.

Guest pfrazier21044

Actually I think that is the group that we are going to go through, we have been to some meet and greets for your group. The first one we went to had this beautiful brindle boy that kept pushing other grey's out the way because he wanted all the attention I was giving. I would talk to him softly and he would every so often look back at his foster father asking if it was okay that he was paying attention to me LOL It was there that the full realization hit that a greyhound would be perfect in our household because we have a lot of love to give and they would be perfectly content to lay around with us, watch the hockey games(84 games a season equals a lot of family time).

Guest hamiesmom

Thanks for the pics of your two beautiful siamese girls. Wow, sure brought back a lot of memories from about 35 years ago when I had a couple of Siamese and also showed, as well, in the household category. They are characters to say the least. For the past 10 years, we have been owned by a beautiful black and white girl who was born feral and is one of the sweetest, smartest cats around. She likes to share her house with her humans and greyhounds. Since we live in Ottawa, Canada, we are an Ottawa Senators fan.

Welcome and you will never look back once you get that first grey. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest pfrazier21044
Thanks for the pics of your two beautiful siamese girls. Wow, sure brought back a lot of memories from about 35 years ago when I had a couple of Siamese and also showed, as well, in the household category. They are characters to say the least. For the past 10 years, we have been owned by a beautiful black and white girl who was born feral and is one of the sweetest, smartest cats around. She likes to share her house with her humans and greyhounds. Since we live in Ottawa, Canada, we are an Ottawa Senators fan.

Sens are a good team... Maya was supposed to be a show cat but she had a protruding sternum bone which prohibited her from the ring and Nyla is just an all round princess LOL. I had lost my first cat Homer from old age, he was twenty when he finally went over the bridge and I know he is patiently waiting for me there(He always was a patient cat) and my wife had contacted a breeder through CFA and got the the girls to help alleviate my moping and grumping around. And now my wife and I are extending the family but the girls told me that they don't want big kitties LOL and then they go to their cat condo and pout ha ha

Guest houndstooth4

Yeah, I remember a good deal of pouting on our cats' parts when we brought our first and second greys home. They have since passed away, although most of the greyhounds are still here. I wish you lots of good luck with your new hounds. My only advice is to go with the dog who chooses you. They have their own preferences just like people, but the hound that really wants to be with you is always a good choice, and the most beautiful greyhound in the world is always the one on your own couch! I can't wait to see pics of your new babies when they arrive. Your girls are too cute!

BTW, Go Hawks!

Guest ellieb
Regardless of what you are looking for, color, male or female etc., they really do pick you. I wanted a big black male and we were adopted by a beautiful red fawn boy,

Ditto. We wanted a huge, fawn female. Instead, we were picked by a medium, brindle male. Later a big, blue female joined the zoo. (Also have one skin kid, three fabulous feline boys and fish.)

Welcome!

Ellie & the gang

Guest JasnJack

Welcome neighbor!! We adopted our 2 hounds in May and our 2 cats are finally over being mad at us!! You're gonna LOVE having greyhounds :wub::wub:

Forgot to mention - LOVE the Siamese girls!! (I wanted a lynx point as my second cat but instead fell in love with a tabby & white brat-girl!! STILL would love to have a lynx point someday...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge