Parvo Vaccine For Seniors?

Patrick goes in for his well dog checkup tomorrow, and I noticed that he has been getting the Parvo vaccine every year, but I'm wondering if at 9 he still needs it. Anyone know? I'll ask the vet of course.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Most vets have gone to the 3 year protocol for DHPP and its variations -- DHLPP etc. That is now suggested by most vet schools and I also believe that the AVHA recommends 3 years for adult dogs with proven vaccination history. My choice is only rabies after 8 or 9. As far as parvo alone is almost always a puupy disease.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest LadyChester

Next door in PA, we are having big, horrible parvo outbreaks in dogs of all ages. Some towns are having free parvo vaccine clinics it is so bad. I like to minimize vaccines for the oldsters, but I personally would stick with the 3 year protocol given the current situation.

Next door in PA, we are having big, horrible parvo outbreaks in dogs of all ages. Some towns are having free parvo vaccine clinics it is so bad. I like to minimize vaccines for the oldsters, but I personally would stick with the 3 year protocol given the current situation.

Really? In older dogs with multiple vaccinations? I've always heard that was next to impossible. Maybe we need to rethink? Parvo is also rampant here among dogs of all ages -- but they all seem to be puppies that weren't fully vaccinated or unvaccinated adults.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest LadyChester

Good point, Pam. Young dogs, middle age, and old dogs have been hit hard here,with lots of deaths, but it is probably among those who have not been consistent in vaccines. I know there have been reported cases among vaccinated dogs, but it is hard with owners "self reporting" info whether they've been vigilant with the vaccines and maintaining a protocol. The disease and deaths have been in the news a lot here, which is quite surprising for PA (land of Amish puppymills).

It was bad enough this year that I didn't want to chance it with my gang. My greys are 4 (with me 1.5 years; not a long enough confirmed vaccine history for me), a 9 yo brood who came off a breeding farm in FL last summer (had current shot records before transport but didn't have any previous vaccine history records available; originally from Ireland), a 9 yo boy from Plainfield who has been with us for 3 years, and a 10 yo who has been with me for 5 years. My 10 year old didn't get a booster but everyone else did, but I know I'm probably overprotective. Would you have vaccinated? Would you vaccinate the 10 year old? I would really value your input.

Thanks. Since I have a solid 6 year history on him, it sounds like every 3 years is the way to go.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

The guidelines from all the colleges and the vet association recommend every 3 years.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=128246&hl=

Thanks, I printed out the guidelines to take in with me.

Guest EmilyAnne

I didnt know better and have been vaccinating Riley for parvo every single year for 13 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he now has lifelong immunity even if he never gets another parvo vaccine.