Continuous Panting

Rusty is 12 years old. Lately, after we get home from work and until we go to bed he just pants. It's not unbearably hot where we are, but when it is we turn the AC on. Usually, it means he has to go outside, so I'll let him out, he does his thing and comes back in again and stands there looking at me panting. He doesn't do this on the weekends when we are home all day, just during the week when are home at night. I'm starting to get a little concerned about this behavior and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest BlackandBrindle

Panting can be a sign of pain and anxiety.

At 12, I'd take him in for a vet visit just to be on the safe side.

Guest sheila

along with a vet visit it could be heat. As Kiowa got older he was less able to tolerate the warmer temps that he did when he was younger

I talked to the vet and they think it's anxiety since he doesn't act this way all the time.

Sheila - you might have a good point about not being able to tolerate the warmer temps because of his age. But it hasn't really been that hot here yet. We are still waiting for summer.

My Polli, age 9.5 will do that more lately too. How is your pup with the thunder? My Polli can tell if a storm is 300 miles away (not quite) and will start to pant an hour before it even rains.

The air in the house is on continuous and although she gets walked with the pack, we do not take her for 11 pm walk.

I'd bet it's the heat and or anxiety but I would have her checked out if it's been a few months since she's been seen.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LindsaySF
I talked to the vet and they think it's anxiety since he doesn't act this way all the time.

I was thinking that too, though it is good that you got him checked out just in case. :)

Is there anything in your weekday routine that is different from the weekends that would upset him? Does he get less exercise, less attention, anything like that?

I don't know how to answer multiple quotes at the same time, but his schedule during the week has not changed over the summer.

He does not do well with thunder, but is not extremely sensitive with it.

Both dogs get fed when I get home at 5:30 and I have not changed their food or treats.

The vet recommended Benydral, but I don't really want to drug him to get him to stop panting.

I'm still thinking it is the weather. I'll see how he does tonight since it's only in the low 70's here in Wisconsin right now.

He also does not do well with fireworks so I may have to reanalyze after this weekend.

Guest Nelsonismyhero

It might be seizures. I had an epileptic dog awhile back that would pant excessively during his seizures, and I also had a dog that developed this type of seizure late in life (around 10 years old).

Audrey

Edited by Nelsonismyhero

Guest Winterwish

I think it's good to have an echocardiagram done when the symptom of panting in the way you're describing,and in the situation you describe for your boy Rusty,- which is panting thru' out the evening without exertion,most likely not overheated,and no scary event going on at the time.

It could be a cardiac issue and could be possible he may need a little medication for that.

That Rusty doesn't to this on the weekends when you're home with him,could indicate it's anxiety related from your not being there with him in the day,true.

But I just want to mention a cardiac possibility that could be treated if there is one.

It could be that he's just more comfortable with you home,so is more relaxed,which could be the result of either,an anxiety or a cardiac source,either/or,and better because you are home with him.

It may well be a within normal pattern for him at his senior age,and Rusty may be fine,just needs to be kept nice and cool. A fan by his bed on low might be very soothing for him,even if it doesn't seem hot out.

Guest Winterwish

I just want to add that altho' puppy may be nervous,an echocardiogram is a non-invasive test. It's expensive tho',about $350.-$400.

I never thought of cardiac issues, hmmm....

I'm going to watch closely how he is over the weekend.

Guest Winterwish

If we can try to see --is this different now? Is this a different kind of panting then he or she has been doing for the last 5 years? - If it is,or if you can't tell,but have an unsureness about it,then it's likely your gut telling you it may be time to look into something that may need treatment.

(altho' all panting at any age,at any time could be due to something in need of a vet visit.--just to make it even more of a puzzle! ;) )

Edited by Winterwish

I'd take him in just for an examine and see how he is. Which food are you feeding? It's possible changes to the formula have occurred and he is having gut problems. This thought came to mind last night and Tootsie was trying to work up a toot or two.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I'd take him in just for an examine and see how he is. Which food are you feeding? It's possible changes to the formula have occurred and he is having gut problems. This thought came to mind last night and Tootsie was trying to work up a toot or two.....

I feed them Canidae. They have been eating this for about three or four years now.

Guest budsmom

Jody,

I think Canidae did recently change their lamb formula, so if that's what you're feeding it could be the food. There was a thread in the GPA-WI forum about the Canidae formula change, so you might want to check there.

Guest greytloves

I would be worried about CHF (congestive heart failure) or enlarged heart on a boy his age. They could do a simple EKG and a chest x ray. My vet only charged $18 for an EKG. I would agree to have a vet check him out.

Or, is he overweight?

I feed Canidae Life Stages. Is that the Lamb formula? If it was the food, wouldn't my other grey have problems too, and he is just fine.

He is not overweight, he is actually thinner than I would like. He was about 72 lbs when I had them in for their annual in spring.

Guest sheila
I don't know how to answer multiple quotes at the same time,

too quote multiple posts click the 'quote' button under each post you want to quote. (the button will change color when you do this) After clicking the 'quote' button under each post then click 'add reply' and the window will come up with all the posts you want to reply too. You can also edit the replies (like I did with yours) so you are just replying to one specific thing.

See, I learn something new every day. Thanks Sheila.

It could affect one and not the other. Are you feeding once or twice a day?

I'd let the vet check out his heart & lungs to make sure nothing is going on. If not, then look to food.

You could try some boiled beef one night and see how he does. Or, can you get frozen BilJac where you are?

From the thread in Food:

Upcoming changes to Canidae formulations

Admin | June 30, 2008 3:56 pm

I wanted to give a heads up to dog owners feeding Canidae products about a few details that the makers of this product aren't telling you in their sales pitch for their changed formulas:

Under the new formulation, Canidae dry foods will no longer be gluten free, due to the addition of barley. If you know that your dog is gluten intolerant, start shopping around for a different food.

Even if your dog doesn't have problems with gluten (not all do, and many foods do contain high-gluten grains like barley), the change in formulation to include rice bran and peas may contribute to gas and digestive upset. Dogs who aren't particularly sensitive may not have any problems at all, others will get over it within a few days of transitioning, but again, for individuals with a delicate digestive system, expect that they may no longer tolerate the product.

Millet is generally well tolerated, but again, it doesn't work for every dog.

"Diversifying" ingredients may sound catchy, and Canidae certainly has made an effort to put a positive spin on it in their statement, but please remember that not all dogs do well on foods that include a wide variety of items.

Also note that "Herring Meal" will be replaced by generic "Ocean Fish Meal", meaning the company reserves the possibility to use different fish from batch to batch without having to change the ingredient list. This has not been addressed in their statement at all.

Whether these changes are indeed an improvement, as Canidae claims, is for you to decide - after observing how it affects your dog.

Canidae All Lifestages

Old Formula: http://canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

New Formula: http://canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry2.html

Canidae Platinum

Old Formula: http://canidae.com/dogs/platinum/dry.html

New Formula: http://canidae.com/dogs/platinum/dry2.html

Canidae Chicken & Rice

(Note that after the change it's no longer going to be a true "Chicken and Rice" formula, but instead a "Chicken, Rice, Barley and Peas" formula)

Old Formula: http://canidae.com/dogs/chicken-and-rice/dry.html

New Formula: http://canidae.com/dogs/chicken-and-rice/dry2.html

Canidae Lamb & Rice

New Formula: http://canidae.com/dogs/lamb-and-rice/dry.html

The old formula has already been overwritten. "Lamb and Rice" formula will now also be a misnomer - even though it's legal as far as labeling regulations go. This is the current ingredient list:

Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lamb, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, L-Lysine, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Organic Selenium, Dried Papaya, Dried Pineapple, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest MAXNAV
I would be worried about CHF (congestive heart failure) or enlarged heart on a boy his age. They could do a simple EKG and a chest x ray. My vet only charged $18 for an EKG. I would agree to have a vet check him out.

Or, is he overweight?

That's exactly what I was thinking. One of my dogs started panting (not normal for him), so I took him to be checked. One quick chest x-ray, and the vet determined he had CHF. He was about 11ish at the time. It was fairly inexpensive to have a chest x-ray. Once he was diagnosed, he was on a few meds and did wonderful!