Ibd- If You Have A Dog Diagnosed With This

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I know some folks have had success with the raw diet; if (and that's a BIG "if") IBD is related to some other gut diseases, it may come back to a bacterium called MAP that is widely found in ruminants (cattle, etc.). Of course, you feed a cow grass, corn, and other foods rich in long-chain carbohydrates, and MAP seems to do very well in that environment, causing Johne's disease. There is no clear manifestation of MAP and Johne's disease in the canine, but BOY would it make sense if at least some types of IBD are related to MAP and Johne's.

So- just to "bump" the article and say something vaguely related to IBD. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Most IBD can be controlled not cured with diet and/or steroids. Can't see were a vitamin supplement would hurt but, you need to check the ingredients to make such there is nothing in there that could "set" your dog off. Take for example---anything with chicken in it would most likely send my boy back to the hospital :(

Guest LuckyGrey

Princess has IBD and we found out when she had a stroke that she wasn't absorbing her food. She made a 100% recivery. She eat IVD Rabbit and Potato. She also takes 10mg of Prednisone a day and Imuran every other day. Did the vet check her Albumin? The key factor in Princess is regulating her Albumin levels. Although she is stable now, she has lost much of her hair from the Imuran. Most important is that you don't stray from the strict diet--absolutely no treats or table scraps. Even her Heartguard is the unflavored white pills. Hope this was helpful and please keep us posted.

:paw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest emdash
Thanks in advance for any info.

I haven't used that medication with my dog.

Em-Dash has had IBS for several years. After all the western treatments didn't do much, his vet referred us to a holistic vet that did acupuncture and Chinese medicine.

After a few acupuncture treatments and the ongoing use of Proyzme powder and a Chinese herbal digestive supplement called Shen Ling, Dash usually does just fine. I also give him milk thistle to improve his liver function. Last time the western vet ran Dash's blood lab-work, he commented that his liver function was back to the healthy readings he'd had at age 3. He's 8 now. His comment was, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it."

I am careful not to give him any raw foods or rawhide, and it took some time to find a food he did well on. But these days he just has an occasional flare-up, one acupuncture treatment usually works to get him back on track. That's usually once a year or so.

The most surprising thing is that he LIKES going for acupuncture!....Starts singing as soon as we get close to the vet's office and trots right into the treatment room when we get there--and he's a very reserved dog. I thought it was a strong positive association with the place and the vet, but when he had his second visit to the new vet who had taken over the practice, Dash reacted with excited anticipation.

Thanks for the responses.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest sirsmom

My girl was on prescription food for a while (hill's I/D) and that helped a lot and we went through quite a few dog foods (iams was good but caused mucho poop) and now it seems the only thing she can eat is Pro Plan (1 cup AM and 1 cup PM) If I get adventurous and try something new, Big D is back. When we started her on Pro Plan about 3 months ago I saw right away she was digesting it. Now she only poops once ot twice daily and its the firmest it's been for her and no double pooping on walks. The prescription foods worked best but too much money for long term.

My IBD boy was on Science Diet prescription food and a combination of medications to keep his IBD and PLE under control. He was so sensitive to foods that we had to hand fill vegetarian caps for his tylan powder. If you are interested, there is an excellent yahoo IBD dogs discussion group that has helped us immensely. I know members on that group have used transfer factor. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/IBDogs/ Best of luck. I know how frustrating IBD can be.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)