Healing Chants For Baby Gus Please! Update Added Post 38

Guest Vinnie

Guest VelvetEars

Alright...that is TOOO CUTE! I'm so sorry that it happened and dredged up such bad memories. But he's going to be fine! And in the meantime, you can come up with all sorts of cute names for him!

Guest DoofBert

Dear Baby Gus,

It is very very important for you to rest....you must rest up so you will be in perfect form and resume all regularly scheduled land shark activities when the wrappings come off.

I must say that you look rather stylish in your new ensemble.

Whenever I need to keep my landsharks quiet, I give them each new stuffy toy and let them be in the play pen.

Lubs,

Tessa

Fashion Coordinator of the Pocono Black Pack

Self Appointed Matriach and Ruling Hound.

Guest LadyChester

So sorry Gus broke his toe but he is sure one stylin' dude. They are all beautiful but I must say Gus is the most gorgeous grey puppy I have ever seen :wub:

Guest wmlcml6

First off, he is ADORABLE. Love the matching collar and cast.

Second, I wanted to say that Bullitt broke his toe when he was a pup, and we kept him inside and leash walked for potty breaks. He had a cast all the way up to his shoulder! Thankfully, he followed the lead of the big dogs in the house and stayed pretty darn calm. Granted, Bullitt has always been rather mellow, as Judy can attest to.

At this age, their bones are growing and mending at super sonic speed, so if he had to break something, puppyhood is the time to do it. I bet he heals perfectly, and is back to running around within 8 weeks.

Edited by wmlcml6

Guest Snowy8

Baby Guzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what in the world are you doing!!! Healing prayers for the baby.....:beatheart strength prayers for the mommy, protective prayers for the daddy...:hehe

Guest Vinnie

Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, suggestions and the laughs - they were all much needed. Checked back with our regular vet this afternoon and he agreed that it should heal just fine without additional intervention. We will go and get his cast redone once or twice a week while healing and since he is a puppy, the healing will be much quicker and stronger than an adult, so that is good.

He is definitely working it to his full advantage already - who knew they could work their eyes so expressively? He's trying to roach with the cast in the air and doing pretty well with it too. If we don't watch him he takes off running with his leg high in the air or up the stairs 3 at a time! But won't go downstairs - so we pick up our 50.2 lb puppy and carry him gently down.

He did get a new treat today - peanut butter on the spoon - magikal medicine - and mooshie's last night (taken as an example from Jumping George) - he loved both (will post photo with mooshie in c&g later). He's getting lots of extra loving from everybody and keeping fairly calm (for now). This did allow me to do some new uploads so if you would like to see other views of this most woe is me boy, here is our photobucket album: http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm16/bobcatproduct/

Will try to do some fun posts so that you all can see how big he is getting now that I am over my shell shock. And yes, dh is safe and sound, all in one piece.

IMGP9010.jpg

IMGP9015.jpg

IMGP9018.jpg

OMG he is huge!!! What did you do with that cute little puppy I met?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest zoolaine

Oh Baby Gus, so sorry you got hurt. How did it happen? He is quite the handsome pup, I must say. Little Zali sends get well wishes. I love the collar and cast- very cute!!!

Oh he is adorably pathetic. Heal quickly little man. :grouphug to your mummy and daddy

:cookie for you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Poor little Gus! What a bummer that he won't be able to run around and play for awhile, but I'm sure he'll heal quickly and get back to being a silly, playful puppy in no time.

Those collars look great on Gus and Gracie!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vinnie

Hi all - I have been behind the times with my update on "Baby" Gus as we have been so worried about so many others lately. However, Spyder stopped by to see how Gus was doing so I thought we would catch everyone up on our crazy boy!

He has a pressure sore that is healing (thankfully) and we got his bandage changed on Thursday, 7/10 instead of Saturday, 7/12 as he is growing so big that we didn't want to wait the extra few days. They thought another week or so and he could get the splint off ...... well, that didn't work out so good. Had to take him back in on Wednesday, 7/16 as he was limping and doing the gsod everytime he got down from the bed, couch or stairs. Turns out he managed to move his cast up (yes up, not down) his leg and it was causing him to land on his healing broken toe, in addition the toe had started to heal crooked so they re-taped, cleaned the pressure sore again (looking better) and wrapped him up in the splint again. We will leave on until Thursday, 7/31 and then hopefully be able to take the splint off and have him on "restricted" activity for about a week. We did get some more med to help with the pain/inflammation, especially as he half rolled off the bed the night before we went back for the re-wrap - he was roaching and off went his back end so all you see is his two front legs trying desperately to hang on while he scrambled to get his backend back up on the bed! Poor little guy, dh quickly put him back up and he velcroed himself to me the rest of the night.

He wants to run and play and tries to yank your arm out of it's socket while on leash walks in the yard and his sister comes and taunts him. And the flying in the house from couch to couch does not help. So we get down and play quietly with him, but he's just so full of energy, that never lasts long. Next thing you know, he's got you in a bear hug from behind and is trying to pull out your scrunchy at the same time! I am amazed that I am not bald yet!

And for those wanting to get your fix of our "little baby" Gus (all 55.7 lbs of him) at 5 mos 3 wks - here you go (notice the lovely fashion sock to stop the chewing and protect the toes):

th_IMGP0052.jpg

th_IMGP0107.jpg

th_IMGP0123.jpg

th_IMGP9958.jpg

th_IMGP9963.jpg

th_IMGP9218.jpg

Edited by Vinnie

Guest greyt2love

Gus, you behave yourself and let your toe heal !! You are even bigger than Marlee and I thought she was getting huge for her age !!! I did a post for you, Gus, and there are more pic's in the chat room if you want to look !!

Deb

Awww...such a handsome little man. Feel better and heal quickly sweetie. :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Vinnie

Oohhh, magical bus - maybe we can get Merlin to pickup all the landsharks and all the houndies that are not feeling so good and take them to a special place to play for the day without any pain - maybe then everyone would come back feeling better so we can fight the nasties that are not making us feel so good right now! I think we need to ask Merlin in the chat room when we get a chance.

Gus is trying so hard to listen when we say easy and no jumping but there is just so much puppy energy in there that he "explodes" when you least expect it - like standing in the middle of the yard with him on the leash and laying down only to turn around and find him leaping through the air with all 4 paws way off the ground and headed for my face (he wanted to give me a kiss) :yikes - I am 5' 6" and he was in the air level with my face from a laying down position - he has some major springs in his paws!

He has been very good about not chewing his splint once I put the sock over it. And if I can get him to continue to "be calm", hopefully the toe will re-align straight instead of crooked as it was doing when the splint moved up. The article was very helpful with ideas to keep him laying down and when we are in the office he is gated in my cubicle with me, so not a lot of room to get crazy in, thankfully. But the whining breaks my heart - I know the splint is awkward and heavy for a puppy so I am willing the days to move quickly and the toe to go straight so we can get him out of the splint. Poor Gus has had enough restriction and so wants to run after his sister and friends. Thank you for keeping him in your thoughts. Now, off to find Merlin.

Guest paulamariez

Awww, what a precious boy!! I'm glad to hear that Gus is on the mend and doing so well. I will keep your little sweetheart in my prayers for a quick recuperation!!

Gus, get better soon...Fenway wants to play!

I feel for you, my puppy is KNOT hurt but I know how hard it is to keep him quiet. I was actually pleased that my friend cancelled our plans for the night, now I can get the dogs to the dog park for a good run.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I'm just sitting here cringing, thinking of trying to keep that puppy energy contained! Your guy is still younger than my youngest was when I got him, and I swear I almost gave him to passers by I don't know how many times! :lol

:rolleyes:

Hang in there! It'll only be a couple more years before you have a nice, settled, mostly calm dog. :D

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Bullitt says no worries Gus. He broke two toes at about the same age.

DSCF03281.JPG

as you can see, it didn't stop him from doing what is really important! :lol

DSCF03291.JPG

Hope he heals quickly!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Vinnie

Puppy roaching is very important - the key is to do it where you are safe and won't roll off the bed and strain your leg with the splint even more! And I know that Bullitt loves to play and romp from his pictures so Gus has another good role model there. And Fenway - can't wait for our sleepover! Gracie and Grace can lay down and watch and we will charge all the lights around the neighborhood with our super puppy energy! Hopefully by then, he will be off his leash restriction. Have fun at the dog park.