Easy Way To Give Cosmo His Pill...

As some know Cosmo has Valley Fever. They gave him these huge pills that he needs to take 2x a day. Well, he does not like peanut butter and no to whipped cream....he was getting smart about eating the cheese off the pill...

The other day in pure desperation, I ran the pill thru our "real" butter dish and he almost took off my finger!!

Whoo Hoo..so far so good and it has been over a week!!

Just a thought for those having problems with the pills.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest greyladydown

Hmmm, never tried butter.

I use Pill Pockets with great success. I find I only need a little to rub on the pill, so I buy the X-tra large size and it lasts a long time. Sometimes, I just use the "down the hatch" method.

Guest Harleys_girl06

we wrap harley's in cheese, peanut butter, or cream cheese. Have you tried cream cheese? maybe your dogs will like that new taste. we just gave harley his pills a sec he gobbled em right up. we also throw them in his food sometimes if they are really big. he doesn't even notice them when he eats his dinner.

Isabella has an uncanny ablity to take whatever pill-delivery item I've given her, maw on it for a while and then spit the pill out. <_< The other dogs will usually fall for the old "Give two treats to gain their trust, then slip 'em the mickey on the third one" technique. So I have to pry open her clenched teeth poke it down manually. Luckily she doesn't have to take pills on a regular basis.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Extra trick for those who have to stuff down throat, or for dogs who will take pill in treat but then spit out pill: Get your pill ready, and get ready a fingerfull or teaspoonful of peanutbutter. Stuff pill down throat (or give treated pill) and immediately shove peanutbutter under dog's nose. Delighted dog forgets pill, begins licking and swallowing .......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

I cube up a sweet potato, coat the cubes in olive oil and garlic powder and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Once they are cooled, I put them in a ziptop bag and keep them in the fridge. You slide a pill into a cube and you are off to the races! It is the only thing I have found that Kebo doesn't spit out the pill with. I usually toss the loaded cube along with a few unloaded ones on top of his kibble. Yum yum!

Shanti gets a lot of pills each day! She has caught onto most of my attempts. No peanut butter, hot dogs, cream cheese, regular cheese. I made chicken meatballs. Just bread crumbs, ground chicken and egg. She would eat those. The trick is give one with medicine and follow immediately with another. They don't have time to think or chew. Now I have other dogs around waiting so she will gobble it. If she chews it, I am screwed. Mark that food off, pure poison! Deli meat is working right now for us too.

The Girls